Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erratic System Tray Loading

Options
  • 23-02-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

I have a few things that load up in the system tray when Windows starts - IM clients, AVG, volume control crap etc. However, recently it's been going a bit funky and seems to randomly decide what to actually display what's running in the system tray, often missing several icons - the programs are still running however. It's quite annoying when I minimise some program to the tray and it disappears!

If I kill Explorer and start it again from Task Manager everything that should be there appears as normal.

Any ideas?

It's Windows XP SP2 32-bit. Everything's up-to-date. Not sure when this started happening - *could* have been around the time when I put IE7 on it but I'm just guessing here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Has it been set up to hide inactive icons?

Is there a little circle towards the left of it with an arrow pointing to the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hell no, I turned that crap off ages ago! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I have a few things that load up in the system tray when Windows starts - IM clients, AVG, volume control crap etc. However, recently it's been going a bit funky and seems to randomly decide what to actually display what's running in the system tray, often missing several icons - the programs are still running however. It's quite annoying when I minimise some program to the tray and it disappears!

If I kill Explorer and start it again from Task Manager everything that should be there appears as normal.

Any ideas?

It's Windows XP SP2 32-bit. Everything's up-to-date. Not sure when this started happening - *could* have been around the time when I put IE7 on it but I'm just guessing here.

I've been having exactly same problem for some time now too.
    It has nothing to do with IE7 for sure.
    I think I first encountered it when SP2 came out (not 100% sure though)

Like you zilog, I kill the problem App form the "Processes" tab in Task Manager & start it again & all is fine.

Sometimes everything starts fine but as you say it's as erratic as hell.
    I never got a definite solution for it either, but now that you've raised it again someone out there might know for sure why it happens or even have a solution.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement