Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Key Cut(Immobilizer)

Options
  • 23-02-2007 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I just got a VW Polo '99 but i got it with just the one key. According to the manual these keys cant be cut by anyone but VW because they have a micro chip somewhere in the key.
    There is meant to be a tag with the second key that holds the code number of the key but i haven't got this tag either, the seller only had the one key.
    Is there a way around this so i can get a duplicate key cut?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There is a place of the south cirular road called the key hospital. They can get a master key cut for you once they have the model number from the key. I got a copy made for €35. Check the golden pages for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Basically there are two parts to the key, the blade and the immob chip.
    You can get the key number from VW or a good lock smith can copy the key you have.
    The immob chip is different though. I an not sure if the lock smith can clone the chip or not. If not then you will need someone to read the immob ECU to get the login number and use that to code the chip. If you bring the key you have to the locksmith he will try and read it and will then be able to tell if he can clone it or not.

The locksmith would be the cheapest method.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thanks for the advice i will follow that. I'll go and try to locate a locksmith. Hal's choice wasnt listed. If anyone knows a likely locksmith that Mr.Diagnostic suggests in the Dublin area i would appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Thanks for the advice i will follow that. I'll go and try to locate a locksmith. Hal's choice wasnt listed. If anyone knows a likely locksmith that Mr.Diagnostic suggests in the Dublin area i would appreciate it.
    Brown Bros -in dun loaghaire http://www.brownbros.ie/;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Crothers on Peters Rd near the walkinstown roundabout can clone keys but not sure what brands, have got fiat and daewoo keys done before. give them a ring to find out. http://www.crothers.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Some keys can be duplicated by a locksmith such as those mentione above. Others can't. Check your key blade, if you see the code W3 then it's probably a main dealer job.

Advertisement