Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta buy right to 2011 World Cup

Options
  • 23-02-2007 7:25pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted but Setanta have bought the rights to 2011 world cup now as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Where's it on then?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

new zealand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

setanta getting the rights or new zealand hosting it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

if they have decent commentators that will do nicely thank you.

One of the greatest terrestrial tragedies was ITV getting the Rugby World Cup gig over the BBC all those years ago. Their commentators were not exactly top drawer IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well on the bright side, probably no Ryle Nugent :D

Davey, you have me there. But if pushed I might say a little from box A and a little from box B.

Would have preferred to have an excuse to go to Japan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Bit strange New Zealand getting it alright. Their facilities are meant to be piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

daveym wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted but Setanta have bought the rights to 2011 world cup now as well.

ah crap. So the 2007 world cup won't be on RTE either. Will the BBC or ITV have coverage of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

2007 world cup won't be free to air? I f*ckin hate that sh*t. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

well i assume we will get Ireland games via TV3 or RTE (TV3 more likely with their relationship with Setanta). Setanta will show every game. Same setup as this year I'd imagine.

(this year setanta are showing all games and TV3 irish games only)

Not sure who has the rights for UK but assume UTV will buy it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Mark Robson or Ryle Nugent, not exactly a quality choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'm pretty sure that our RWC games are listed as proteceted games so will have to be shown terristerially. Not sure about the rest.

Good thing I've setanta and Sky...whoopee!

Bit strange New Zealand getting it alright. Their facilities are meant to be piss poor.

They have one decent stadium and are in the middle of doing up another one. The rest are supposed to be Landsdowne-esque, i.e complete turd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Even if they had amazing facilities it still would have been a joke. NZ is the last country that needs a RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

daveym wrote:
    well i assume we will get Ireland games via TV3 or RTE (TV3 more likely with their relationship with Setanta). Setanta will show every game. Same setup as this year I'd imagine.

(this year setanta are showing all games and TV3 irish games only)

Not sure who has the rights for UK but assume UTV will buy it again.

TV3 showing rugby??? That cant be good?! Their footoe coverage is terrible with worst panelisits and presenters who the hell will the y be using any one now??

Im also not too fond of Daire OBrien ad neil Francis not a patch on Hookie et al...serious lack of personality on Setanta I feel.

Sangre wrote:
    Even if they had amazing facilities it still would have been a joke. NZ is the last country that needs a RWC.

Yea but its all the more farcical since they have **** stadia and some games will be played in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

... and some games will be played in Australia
    NZ will be hosting all the 2011 RWC matches.

Hmm I was under the impression some would be in Aus. Must have misheard it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

this year setanta are showing all games and TV3 irish games only
    That's not too bad so, I thought it would be like when SKY buy the rights to a match and no one else can watch it, and sometimes you have to pay an extra "Pay Per View" bit, etc... (i.e. even if you have the channel you have to pay for it!)

daveirl wrote:

and according to the paper on sat they have only gotten half the funding they wanted to do eden park up, they are going to try for private funding now apparently.

Although this report says that luckily enough the stadium will cost half what was expected which will be good cos thats what they have! sounds dodgy

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=113035

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

This is really bad news (setanta getting the rights that is). I am a sports fan, so I sign up to Sky Sports. Now some sports are going to other broadcasters. I know competition is suppossed to be a good thing but in effect what actually happens now is you get fleeced twice instead of once if you want to see all the rugby World Cup matchs. This has already happenned with soccer for next year, you will have to pay 2 broadcasters instead of one if you want to see all the soccer you used to be able to see on Sky. Now it looks like the same thing is starting with rugby. Competition in this regard does not operate in my interest, I end up paying more for the same amount of sports coverage.

Strasser wrote:
    This is really bad news (setanta getting the rights that is). I am a sports fan, so I sign up to Sky Sports. Now some sports are going to other broadcasters. I know competition is suppossed to be a good thing but in effect what actually happens now is you get fleeced twice instead of once if you want to see all the rugby World Cup matchs. This has already happenned with soccer for next year, you will have to pay 2 broadcasters instead of one if you want to see all the soccer you used to be able to see on Sky. Now it looks like the same thing is starting with rugby. Competition in this regard does not operate in my interest, I end up paying more for the same amount of sports coverage.

thank the lord you aren't a golf fan too! don't see the sky sports cost going down even though they have lost a pile of their big draws..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think Japan were rightly p!ssed off about that decision.

Advertisement