Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Lions!

Options
  • 23-02-2007 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I'm an Irish guy living in England, first of all let me say I'm not anti-British, my wife is English and many of my friends are too and thankfully the enmity between the 2 countries has decreased hugely in the past 2 decades.

On the other hand you'd be surprised by how many people here still think of Ireland as a province of Britain either methaphorically or even in actuality in some cases. It really annoys me when I read it time and time again in newspapers and other journals when the Lions are called the British Lions, as much as the British dislike the French, I can't see that they would insist in calling the Lions the British Lions and not the British and French Lions if it was the French that made up the team with them instead of us. It's a lack of respect really imo.
    Am I one of the few to be annoyed by this? I suspect I probably am.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ on a bike. Leave it. There's a fvckin' page load of threads on boards of this nature right now. Can we (ie you) just get on with our (your) lives?

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Time to read other newspapers. The Indo AFAIK *always* call them the British and Irish lions.

Just out of interest, do you take offence to the term 'British Isles' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yes, Ive always heard them called the British & Irish Lions, even by Sky News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Why does it matter?

It just shows ignorance and stupidity on their count.

The team is officially the "British and Irish Lions" it doesnt say much for a news paper/agency if they dont have their facts correct, its rather amusing as it shows a huge lack of respect on the British side...ive never seen The Irish Independant use the term "The Irish Lions"...

As far as that British Isles quip, it angers a lot of ppl as its rather incorrect and is based on historical ties to Britian which no longer exsist.

But then again, the majority do refer to them as the "British and Irish Lions"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why bother getting worked up over it :)

Some people have major chips on the shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Today will sort out the Lions from the cubs.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

You will seldom find a pundit from this part of the world who will still call that team the British Lions.
    It is heavily marketed as the British and Irish Lions or the British Isles, of which both terms are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Worrytahs wrote:
    You will seldom find a pundit from this part of the world who will still call that team the British Lions.
    It is heavily marketed as the British and Irish Lions or the British Isles, of which both terms are correct.

I live in England and I hardly ever hear of it being called the British and Irish Lions, I don't watch too much TV - no doubt the likes of Sky would get it right, but just about any paper I read here doesn't and the man in the street certainly doesn't. Maybe I get more annoyed about it than most Irish people as when you no longer live in your birth country paradoxically you become more aware of your nationality. Ironically enough I remember in shock/horror when Craig Doyle first started in the BBC he actualled called them the British Lions too, if one of our own does it then there's not much hope!

And as for having a chip on my shoulder, as I already stated I'm not anti-british, my wife is English for one thing. Also I wasn't aware about the Croke Park debate thing, I've no problem with GSTQ being played there. I'm all for shall we say a more mature nationalism of mutual respect, my point is though I think it shows a great deal of lack of respect.
    robnubis wrote:
    it shows a huge lack of respect on the British side...ive never seen The Irish Independant use the term "The Irish Lions"..

Maybe they should!

And as for the moderator who lambasted this post... I post mostly in the poker forum and this is my first post in the Rugby one - it's funny how newbies in any forum on boards get stamped upon, I've seen it time and time again on the poker forum. I'm obviously not au fait with past posts here though I will admit I could have guessed that this type of post probably has popped up before. Anyway just wanted to see what the thoughts on this were back home, think I got my answer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

luckylucky wrote:

And as for the moderator who lambasted this post... I post mostly in the poker forum and this is my first post in the Rugby one - it's funny how newbies in any forum on boards get stamped upon
    I'd stay off infrastructure for a while :D

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote:
    I'd stay off infrastructure for a while :D

maybe it's too early in the morning, but I don't follow :confused: hmm unless you mean get off my pedestal, if that's what you meant I wasn't really having a go at the moderator, I can understand the weariness with seeing the same posts, just highlighting the point that newbie posters should be given a bit more leeway than regulars.

anyway as I said already just wanted to see what the opinions were back home on it, I'll leave it at that now.

Hopefully we'll do the biz today anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

luckylucky wrote:
    maybe it's too early in the morning, but I don't follow :confused: hmm unless you mean get off my pedestal, if that's what you meant I wasn't really having a go at the moderator, I can understand the weariness with seeing the same posts, just highlighting the point that newbie posters should be given a bit more leeway than regulars.

anyway as I said already just wanted to see what the opinions were back home on it, I'll leave it at that now.

Hopefully we'll do the biz today anyway ;)
    I just made a joke, man; he's mod of Infrastructure. No offence intended to anyone. Sorry I bothered now ... :rolleyes:

davyjose wrote:
    I just made a joke, man; he's mod of Infrastructure. No offence intended to anyone. Sorry I bothered now ... :rolleyes:

doh, soz :o and there was me getting all paranoid, playing tons of poker does that to you :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So you can't handle us and go off to cry about it in the rugby forum. Tut tut :)

musician wrote:
    So you can't handle us and go off to cry about it in the rugby forum. Tut tut :)

lol, ok ya got me, I fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

luckylucky wrote:
    lol, ok ya got me, I fold.
    yet here you are tilting....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

not to memtion a couple of irishmen have had the honour of captaining the british and irish lions. most notable willie wallace and brian o'driscoll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't think I've ever called them the British & Irish Lions. Way too much of a mouthfull. Always just call them the Lions.

Anyway, British people calling them the British Lions isn't due to historical ignorance an disrespect. Its because thats what they were called for donkey's years.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

British? Irish?

The only Lions that matter are the Leinster ones!!!! :p

p.s. I personally have no problem with people calling the B&I Lions the British Lions - for the vast majority of their existance, that's what they were called. It's an honest mistake out of habit.
    I do take offence with people who refer to Irish things as British because of the 'British Isles' thing - fortunately politics and rugby are by and large separate from each other in my mind so I don't intend to lay out my world view here. Luckily. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement