Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding parallel port to a laptop?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ebay is your best bet I'd say....

example here.

You can get USB->parallel also. Again, I'd try ebay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

out of curiousity what is it for ?

if it was a printer you could have used a network printer box.

some programs won't talk to USB drivers for parallel ports
    and usb-parallel only works when the usb drivers are loaded by an OS

http://www.marxcomputers.ie
    USB - Parallel cable €23.00
    and they are open tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Have bought one in the past from Lindy, www.lindy.com

We were trying to use the one we bought to enable us to use dongle protected software on a new laptop, it didn't work. However that was at least two years ago, and in fairness our dongle supplier had advised us on buying it, and so they bought it back off us for testing.

Have just looked up their catalog, no longer do PCMCIA one, but instead do a mini docking station, which includes a parallel port,

When purchasing from this supplier or any other, as if it is suitable for the use you are intending, at leat then you may have some comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

out of curiousity what is it for ?

if it was a printer you could have used a network printer box.

some programs won't talk to USB drivers for parallel ports
    and usb-parallel only works when the usb drivers are loaded by an OS

http://www.marxcomputers.ie
    USB - Parallel cable €23.00
    and they are open tomorrow morning

Hey, thanks for the suggestion.

We use the parallel port on a PC to program a microcontroller board (this one) for our final year project. It's programmed via a DB25 parallel connection, so the printer connection type seems to be no use.

We're trying to move the project onto laptop so that it's more portable.

@lindy
    That docking station on lindy seems to be what we're looking for. Will look into it, thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.oopic.com/progcablp.htm
    progcabl.gif

They are sending serial data across the parallel port. To do this they may need to access the I/O port directly. I'm guessing you may not be able to do that with a USB dongle.

A USB serial port might work better

or a PDA ?
    You can get compact flash serial ports, and then an adaptor will allow it to go into pcmcia slot and you should have a true hardware serial port then.
    http://www.oopic.com/progccon.htm
    Via Serial Control Protocol (SCP) created by Savage Innovations: In OOPic firmware version B.2.0+, the primary serial port is dedicated to a system called the Serial Control Protocol (SCP) which allows the OOPic to be controlled over the serial port. SCP allows a remote PC, Pocket PC, Palm Pilot, or any other device with a serial port to interact with, control and debug an OOPic application while it is running including directly interacting with the application's Objects. In addition, the serially attached device can be used as a terminal to the OOPic providing user programmable I/O to such devices as a Palm Pilot, or a Gameboy. Special considerations were made in the protocol to allow the serial connection to be done via a wireless radio link.

EDIT - looks like I2C doesn't use negative voltages like RS232.
    and they don't show the wiring diagram from serial cable yet. :(
    so I don't know if you'd need a level convertor if you tried to wire your own serial cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement