Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice? slow/no memory????

Options
  • 23-02-2007 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some help. I have a compaq laptop running windows xp approx 1 yr old (not sure what extra info you might need?)

Its running really slowly broadband is like dialup esp for yuotube and such but generally very very slow at start takes a good 5 mins before I can open any programs and internet pages often turn to this page is not responding etc.

Getting error messages saying my virtual memory is too low. why would this be? what can I do to improve the virtual memory? Is it malware or adaware or would something else cause this?

Thanks
    xxx

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If your BB and your machine are both slow, I hope you're not infected by a spambot. If so your connection and machine are being used to spam the rest of us.

A complete anit virus scan is the first step. AVG is a great and free app that comes highly recommened. Then try some of the free online scanners like Panda active scan etc as a second opinion.

There's plenty of additional automatic cleaning apps that you could try out.
    Adaware (I'm sure others will suggest other software) is good for getting rid of spyware.
    CCleaner is great for cleaning out your hard drive and getting rid of, sometimes, gigs of useless temp files.

To see whats starting up when you boot hit START>RUN> and type msconfig
    Go to the startup tab and see whats there. Ususally there's things like your anti virus, msn messenger etc. You might spot something dodgy there.
    You're probably better going into the services tho for tweaking these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 yournamehere

Thanks so much for your advice. I ran ewido's scan and they found a truckload of nasty stuff about 70 pieces of spy/adware and 2 worms which I removed and is already running much faster. I should prob bring into to some pc doctor to get it checked properly.. lot fo important stuff on laptop so I'd better back it up asap!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

BACK UP! BACK UP! BACK UP!
    I can't say it enough! :)
    Its a good idea to get someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at it alright.

Advertisement