Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any know of car chipping folks that come to you?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a quote to get my car chipped, anyone know of anyone who will come to your workplace and do it while yea wait?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yep ed from turbo tech will come to you.
    http://www.turbotech.ie/contact.htm

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

or you can do it remotely with someone like superchips in the uk. They send you a unit, you plug in in download current settings email it to them and they send you back the remap. You can switch back and forward between them with no switch etc in the car. If they do your model of car it is easy.

daveym wrote:
    or you can do it remotely with someone like superchips in the uk. They send you a unit, you plug in in download current settings email it to them and they send you back the remap. You can switch back and forward between them with no switch etc in the car. If they do your model of car it is easy.

Yeah thats a cheaper way but its better to get a ecu remap instead of a unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

BSR also do this - I'm going to be doing this myself. If you've one of their models they send you their PPC unit and you can do it yourself. The good thing about BSR's PPC is that you can set it back to normal again as many times as you want. This is a DIY job and basically means hooking the unit up to your car's computer.

www.bsruk.co.uk

Basically, cars are set up for the lowest common denominator countries i.e. RONs lower than what we have in this country. So, engines are not optimised.

For example the BSR unit that I'll be getting will increase WBH by 29HP and slightly improve fuel efficiency based on normal driving.

With that said, you may want to inform your insurance company.

drdre wrote:
    Yeah thats a cheaper way but its better to get a ecu remap instead of a unit.

i understand the unit they send plugs into the ctrl port and downloads new FW to the ECU, so you do get a remap with them too?

its not that cheap though, however they seem to be very popular esp with VAG drivers:
    http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Before anyone laughs I realise the chipping/remap market is aimed firmly at diesels and high powered petrol sports cars but are there any advantages to be had chipping something like 1.6 Vectra? don't laugh,just curious!!

bigkev49 wrote:
    Before anyone laughs I realise the chipping/remap market is aimed firmly at diesels and high powered petrol sports cars but are there any advantages to be had chipping something like 1.6 Vectra? don't laugh,just curious!!

Nobody should laugh, its a genuine question and i would also like to find out the answer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

There is no advantage to remapping a n/a car, any chips you see for them aren't worth getting. They will only cause the car to run rich.

i look into getting my 1.6 done, €400 or so for an extra 6bhp!!

needless to say, decided it wasn't really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

mloc123 wrote:
    There is no advantage to remapping a n/a car, any chips you see for them aren't worth getting. They will only cause the car to run rich.
    daveym wrote:
    i look into getting my 1.6 done, €400 or so for an extra 6bhp!!

needless to say, decided it wasn't really worth it.

Thought as much,just curious. Although I have no doubt there are bodykit festooned chipped and remapped micras/polos/starlets spluttering around the country as we speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

mloc123 wrote:

Not strictly true; chips and remaps are not exactly the same thing. Off the shelf chips are usually not worth a toss for a normally aspirated engine. Depending on the car you can squeeze up to an extra 10% or so out of a n/a with a true custom ECU remap, but its rarely worth it unless you're in the 130bhp-zone to begin with.
    Turboed cars have much more scope for improvements.

Advertisement