Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap laptop from Aldi?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Aldi are promoting a notebook that goes on sale on Mar 8th

Medion MD98200, 1GB RAM, 120GB disk, Vista Home Premium

No price advertised.

Anyone bought this brand, or any computer from Aldi before?
    Anyone have any idea what price it will be. It's a decent spec machine so I guess the price will reflect that, even though it is Aldi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Good spec yes but aldi laptops and computers generally are way overpriced..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Erm... No they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

http://www.digital-zoom.de/article4466.html suggests a price of around €799.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

They are cheap but Medion computers if you want to run into perpetual issues...
    That's like this Irish company which does PC, cant recall the name, Tesco sells their laptops, WOW piece of crap 300%
    They do not even provide their own drivers download from their website (Well maybe now they do since I sent them a spicy email).

Don't go for the really cheap, cause you will have the really cheap components.
    Save a bit more and you will sleep better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Aldi machines normally have very good components, all well known brands ec. I couldn't give a toss what the brand on the case is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Stephen wrote:
    The Aldi machines normally have very good components, all well known brands ec. I couldn't give a toss what the brand on the case is.

So true!

Would people please look beyond the name on the case and actually look at whats contained inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I bought a Medion laptop in the States 2 years ago and it was the best buy I ever made. Never gave me an ounce of trouble and I use it every day...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My friend got an aldi laptop over a year ago and the thing was amazing value for what for what he paid. The thing even had a little fingerprint reader on it(Although he never uses it).
    The only problem he's had so far was the keyboard would freeze from time to time. But a format sorted that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Keep a look out on Bargain Alerts, people often post about the aldi laptops there and give their feedback on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

you can buy this on the dell website all day long

Inspiron 1501 (N02157)
    AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50, Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Base AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Memory 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Keyboard Internal Keyboard - (QWERTY) - UK/Ireland
    Video Card ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™
    Hard Drive 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    Mouse Dell USB Black Optical Mouse
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    CD/DVD Drives Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Wireless Local Area Networking Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band 802.11a/b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card33
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.5 - English
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 90 Days Service only
    Power Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Primary Battery 6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Dell System Media Kit Inspiron Resource DVD - Vista (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800

Total Price € 665.52 ( including VAT and delivery )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

mick.fr wrote:
    That's like this Irish company which does PC, cant recall the name, Tesco sells their laptops, WOW piece of crap 300%

You mean IQON, who pretend their PC's are from Philips just because they use a Philips DVD drive, speakers and monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

zod wrote:
    you can buy this on the dell website all day long

Inspiron 1501 (N02157)
    AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50, Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Base AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Memory 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Keyboard Internal Keyboard - (QWERTY) - UK/Ireland
    Video Card ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™
    Hard Drive 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    Mouse Dell USB Black Optical Mouse
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    CD/DVD Drives Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Wireless Local Area Networking Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band 802.11a/b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card33
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.5 - English
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 90 Days Service only
    Power Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Primary Battery 6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Dell System Media Kit Inspiron Resource DVD - Vista (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800

Total Price € 665.52 ( including VAT and delivery )

Incredible value. But it has Vista, and ATI are **** at providing Linux drivers, so meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Rozie wrote:
    Incredible value. But it has Vista, and ATI are **** at providing Linux drivers, so meh.

But in fairness from now on all new laptops will be coming with Vista, and linux drivers is only an issue for an incredibly tiny minority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Technician-Ted

I have found medion hardware to be very good, while it works.

WARNING!!! Medion technical support is absolutely attrocious. I have stopped buying medion computers simply because their customer support is so incredibly appauling. The power supply failed on my laptop. It took 3 attempts to book it in for a paid-for repair. After three months they said they couldn't repair it so they'd send me a 2nd hand replacement. The replacement was damaged. It took them 3 months to fix the catch in the lid. I then sent it back to have the DVD-ROM replaced with a DVD-Writer which my original laptop had. The incompetent bafoons eventually sent it back with a DVD-ROM in. It is now 12 months later and I still haven't got it sorted out.
    And they keep you on hold on the phone for ages, just about EVERY TIME I called, sometimes I've been on hold over 30mins.

I won't buy medion ever again so I don't risk having to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭DanSolo

mick.fr wrote:
    They do not even provide their own drivers download from their website (Well maybe now they do since I sent them a spicy email).

Don't go for the really cheap, cause you will have the really cheap components.
    Save a bit more and you will sleep better.

Don't agree. I have a Medion 1Ghz desktop for about 4 years now and the only thing that ever gave was the Philips CD burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Stephen wrote:

Good point , I would be the same:)

Advertisement