Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #28: "Return to Cookie Mountain" by TV on the Radio

Options
  • 23-02-2007 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

This got a fair few votes on our best of 2006 poll so here's an album of the week for it. I've never heard it but if it's good enough for David Bowie I'm sure it's good enough for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

If my brain were a band making committee, i think TV On The Radio is the band that it would imagine into life... ;)

They push all my musical buttons. If ever there was a band that appeals to my musical appetite, its this band.

When you end up listening to a lot of samey, me-too and feted indie/alternative/etc albums (and this TV On The Radio album got a lot of hype), its good to actually hear something that stands to repeated listening. The timbre of the vocals (and the layering), the shuffling beats, the imaginative production, the fact that underneath all the noise they seem to be a doo-wop band, and the passion, all really appeals to me. They even remind me of AR Kane! (Something you don't hear too often). They are just a little skewered and i like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Could someone choose one song that I could judge the album on? I don't want to go away buying the whole bloody album just because a few blokes on a forum said it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

The single released from Return to Cookie Mountain: Wolf Like Me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I love this album. I actually met the band the last time they were over. They were all really cool guys and we ended up spending the evening with guitar player/producer Dave (who produced the Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Fever to Tell) and their tour manager. We chated about music and they told us some great stories about some very famous and influential artisits they were friends with. They even referenced a story a mate of mine told them before they played Wolf Like Me - really cool night.

Id recomend this album to anyone who is looking for something a bit different than the paint by numbers indie pop garbage that seems to be polluting the airwaves at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

They sound like a darker Arcade Fire. But, I'm only basing this on 'Wolf Like Me', which is class, I have to say. Might look into this shower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I heard "Staring at the Sun" and rushed out to buy the previous album. The result was probably the most disappointing experience I'd had in years - the rest of it was crap.

I haven't listened to anything else off "Return to Cookie Mountain", but I'm just too afraid of having a similar experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

for the second time evr, my nomination gets picked. i am on a roll!

can't say much about the album's awesomeness without repeating myself, but i will leave you with an intriguing piece of info:
    totr covered the pixies' mr grieves on their young liars ep. they didn't use any instruments, just ooohs, aaaahhs, and fingerclickin

Advertisement