Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Commercial 4x4

Options
  • 23-02-2007 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭

I have the task of buying a new 4x4 commecial for the company (not for me to drive)

I have about 30K ex vat to spend and resale value is very important as it isn't on a lease but a straight cash buy .. anyone any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

companies can write off depreciation, so don't worry about that, just get the accountant to sort it.....My friend's dad is a plumber and has a Santa Fe Commercial...He loves it.

Another friend's gardener has one and they can take some amount of abuse

Santa Fe

Landcruiser of the same size is €10k more but probably not without reason....there's not much new out there these days for €30k

Don't think the Kia Sorento comes in commercial, but the dealer might do it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Sant Fe is an excellent machine, great to drive and is very solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan do the X-Trail in commercial form:
    http://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/commercial/xtrail/price.asp

And the bigger Pathfinder:
    http://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/commercial/pathfinder/price.asp

According to the Nissan website prices include VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sorrento is available as commercial. About 28K new i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry, but we've bought 2 in the last 6 months; only one with resale worth talking about; Toyota Landcruiser. Both of ours are SWB.

Actually we're selling one already - interested? With VAT invoice too. We need to change one for something bigger, so it's low miles as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Landcruiser only way to go. Does it have to be brand new? If so it's probably out. They are a nice machine. the 5 speed is nicer than the newer 6 speed. We have both here in work & that's the general concensus. Both are still fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Co cars don't have to be new - it's perfectly ok to buy s/hand. The reason most are new is that they are leased, so in this case the world is his oyster.

For this reason, ours aren't leased, either, so buying one that WASN'T on lease is good, 'cos you know it's been minded, not thrashed. Ours has only 5800kms on it, btw..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Company I work for used to have Terranos and Discoveries, used to break down all the time. I personally had 3 different and each one broke down a few times. So one department changed to land cruisers, all of a sudden breakdowns stopped in that department (30 landcruisers) but continued with the discovery.
    Also when DOE time came around, every year there would be problems with the terranos and discoveries (and not just things like bulbs!!)
    The land cruisers never have to go back, they always seem to pass.
    Now we have around 45 landcruisers, and no other 4x4.

A lot of contractor companies who do work with us drive different 4x4s pathfinders, xtrails, discoveries one or 2 santa fes. The amount of times I meet these guys and they are in rental cars cos their 4x4s are in getting somthing fixed is unreal! Only time I have to leave mine into a garage is for service.
    From this year on we have a choice of 4x4... around 7 or 8 have been changed out so far...
    Now when choosing what we want, the land cruiser is the base model, and we dont get aircon, or any extras. If we take a discovery we get aircon, the air suspension and a few other extras...but guess what everyones chosen so far...Landcruisers..and I havent heard a single person say they want anything different when their time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

List price on a new Land Cruiser SWB is 37,760. Can be bought straight for around 36k. knock the VAT off that and you get under 28500 . you know it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you'd rather have 2 extra doors, a less thirsty engine, a bit more boot space and a lower price than the SWB Landcruiser, there also would be THIS

The old model depreciated quite gently and I'm not aware of any major issues with it either ...so hopefully the new model should be the same, or better.

• Advertisement

Great if you have a dog grooming company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Had a mate who bought the Sante Fe and had loads of problems with it. All fixed under warranty but he had no vehicle for work while it was in for repairs. He has a Nissan Navara now and is getting the new model in a few weeks. Another mate says the Suzuki Grand Vitara he owned had terrrible handling, especially in the wet. I'd go for a Land Cruiser first and Pajero second. Not Pajero Sport, they are very hard on juice. Haven't heard one bad report of the landcruiser and I know about 7 or 8 people who drive them.

when you take resale into account, the Land Cruiser will be cheaper to own than practically anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The Doktor wrote:
    Company I work for used to have Terranos and Discoveries, used to break down all the time. I personally had 3 different and each one broke down a few times. So one department changed to land cruisers, all of a sudden breakdowns stopped in that department (30 landcruisers) but continued with the discovery.
    Also when DOE time came around, every year there would be problems with the terranos and discoveries (and not just things like bulbs!!)
    The land cruisers never have to go back, they always seem to pass.
    Now we have around 45 landcruisers, and no other 4x4.

Are & were all these 4x4 white????:D If so would concur with this....

A word of warning though with the Landcruisers, there is a known weakness in the electrics. In the gap between the driver's door & front wing the wiring loom is accessible with a hack saw. If the loom is cut thm the central locking simply pops open when the wires short against the blade. This has happened to a few of our jeeps as the The Doktor will concur. Just make sure your storage area is caged off if you are carrying valuables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

We have Landcruisers and Santa Fe's in work. Sante Fe is wrecked after 50000km's, Landcruiser is still going strong after 118k miles.

Go for the Landcruiser - it's worth the extra.

Advertisement