Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark

Options
  • 22-02-2007 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are thinking of heading to Denmark this summer. Not decided yet if we will go anyway actually, but if we do then Denmark is top of the list.

I can get a ferry and drive to Hull in 1 day and it is an overnigh to Rotterdam.

Then it's about 8ish hours up to Denmark... so that's another 2 days. That's not going to be too hard on the kids.

So, we can take about 2 weeks from there. I guess we went to to visit less places than we did on our first trip last summer, so perhaps pick 2 places in Denmark that we could visit, with things to do in the surrounding area.

Does anybody have any advice that can kickstart our planning?

Looking at ferry prices... they seem a bit steep!

Hull to Rotterdam/Zeebrugge in very late June early July, 4berth is working out about EUR700-800 with P&O.

Harwich diretc to Esbjerg(Denmark) is EUR1187!!

Newcastle to Bergen (just in case Norway is cheaper) is EUR1146!!

This is unacceptable!!!

Has anybody else found relatively cheap ferries? I'm already paying EUR500 to get from Dublin to Wales..........

The only thing I can think of is the following:

Rotterdam to Billund (legoland) is 10h15m by my GPS but costs EUR840 by Ferry.

But, Dover to Dunqergue should be EUR100... and Dunkerque to Billund is only 12h30m to Billund.... so 2 hours driving in Holland/Germany and a couple more to get down the UK... to save about EUR700!

I can probably live with this, as long as part of the holiday become staying in Northern Germany and not a mad dash to Denmark.

So now I guess I need to find out if there is anything interesting to do in northern Germany!!

This all seams either very expensive or alot of driving. Any tips???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cheap ferries?

Not around here ...try France to Corsica or Italy to Sardinia ...yours for 50 - 100 euro (just to put it into perspective)

Having said that ... if you book the Hull-Rotterdam section together with the Ireland-Wales bit through Irish ferries as a "landbridge" tarrif, it should be a BIT cheaper than two single bookings. (same goes for Dover-Calais)

There are quite a few things to see in northern Germany ...one that I can think of the the top of my head would be the "Vogelpark Walsrode"
    http://www.niedersachsen-tourism.de/en/lust-auf-natur/zoos-wildparks/zoos-tierparks/walsrode-bird-park/index.php
    which could be a good half-way stop on your way to Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Have you thought about Belfast - Stranraer and then Rosyth to Zeebrugge?

The Rosyth fares vary wildly but some good deals can be got if you are flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Yes, but I've decided there is no point in arriving in Holland anymore as it is 10 hours up to Denmark from there and I'll waste too much time :-(

I might go a week earlier in June to save a bit on the direct fare to Denmark.... and then when you take into account I don't need to overinght in the UK, or in France to get down to the Alps (like last year) and fuel savings it is working out about €500 more expensive compared to last year, which isn't too bad considering I would have less travelling days.... and the kids won't be as annoyed!!!

Why Denmark, anyway?

It's a bit like Donegal without the mountains ...lovely beaches and all but absolutely no guarantee for beachy weather.

dunno, never been there... might as well go.

Legoland?

• Advertisement

3ps wrote:
    dunno, never been there... might as well go.
    That's a good enough reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

peasant wrote:
    Why Denmark, anyway?
    Denmark is very child-orientated, lots and lots of things for kids to do, there is also a drive thru safari park right next to Legoland.
    I find Denmark quite pleasant and very affordable compared to the other Nordic countries, oh yes Beer is very cheap too....

I'm not into safari parks and amusement parks/rides. You can do them anywhere, plus they are usually not suitable for 3 year olds.

I'm thinking it's too expensive now and I might go back to good old France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have driven through parts of Denmark, just a mad dash on the way up from Franfurt to Southern Sweden and found it completely forgetable. Very boring countryside indeed.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement