Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Film lower volume than Ads and menus?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My friend just brought over a rented DVD, so no dodgy copy or anything and it has happened on other DVD's before too, that the volume on the actual film is much lower than that of the adverts or menus and any other sound device on the pc. I'm using Media Player Classic but it was the same in Windows Media Player.

Is it just my computer or is this a known problem?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'd say its more down to the film than the PC. The menus/ads were probably authored separately from the film for the rental release.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah maybe, it's happened on almost every DVD film though. And the volume is just about high enough to hear comfortably on full volume from quite a decent set of speakers and then of course if any other sound happenson the pc, it nearly deafens you:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

are you using surround speakers?

menus and ad's are in stereo pcm format

you probably have the 5.1 track selected for the movie?
    5.1 is usually ac3 format, get a good ac3 codec and
    you can use this to boost the volume somewhat.
    there was agood one in the Klite codec pack iirc but cant remember what it was called there was an option to boost ac3 volume when u installed it.

I used to to get this all the time on avi encoded with ac3 audio and dvd's.

Also off the point a bit: but i recently started using GOm player for movies on my pc both for dvd and other formats and found it to be much more comprehensive in terms of features and options than any of the players you mentioned. Worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

MPC comes with a version of AC3Filter built in so should be no need for codec packs. Still install AC3Filter anyway just so you can tweak with more advanced settings and see if it makes any difference.

To use the installed version of AC3Filter in MPC click view->options->internal filters under transform filters untick AC3 & DTS.

You've checked the volume settings right made sure the wave volume is turned up high ?

Do you have a surround sound system hooked up to the PC is it running via analogue or digital ?

Are the speakers correctly configured the Windows control panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Erm, could it be something as simple as the main volume is way up, while the line in or wave volume is way down?

To check, double-click on the speaker icon in the system tray in the bottom-right of the screen. Make sure you can see the volume for all sound devices (check Options->Advanced controls).

Are they all set to the max?

• Advertisement
Advertisement