Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Computer Geeks

Options
  • 22-02-2007 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Doing Some Research for a business Studies exercise

Right I have an idea selling dismattled computers that you have to put back together (kinda like those airfix aeroplanes if you catch my drift) would there be a big D.I.Y market in Ireland and whereabouts would I get the parts like motherboards and sound cards and stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Wouldn't think there would be a market most geeks would already have parts from several computer around the place. Personally I would rather choose my own stuff If I was to build a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mullie06 wrote:

Right I have an idea selling dismattled computers that you have to put back together (kinda like those airfix aeroplanes if you catch my drift) would there be a big D.I.Y market in Ireland and whereabouts would I get the parts like motherboards and sound cards and stuff

What exactly do you know about people who are willing to build computers? I'm saying this because this would not appeal to anybody I know that would be willing to do it.

Do you mean cheap parts, like around 50 or 60 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Short answer. No. Long answer. No.

People who build their own computers like to chose the components themselves. Something like this wouldn't have a very long shelf life due to the nature of the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Mullie06 wrote:

When you say "dismaNtled", you mean you would buy an assembled PC, then dismantle it? Why do it this way? Why not just buy parts?

Either way, sh*t idea. I don't think you would sell even one to someone who wasn't a friend or family member! The one huge flaw being that people who are capable of using your service & building PC's, will source their own components from Peats or Komplett, etc, as picking your own custom components it's half the fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

any self respecting geek will already know how to build their own and most relsih the fact that they can pick and choose the parts they want

what may be an idea is to aim it at the "beginner" market or 30-40 years olds with little computer experience etc and are trying to learn as much as possible

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Great way to ask for help with reseach, by calling people geeks. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

computers and model airplanes aren't comparable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the remote controlled ones are kinda , ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

tom dunne wrote:
    Great way to ask for help with reseach, by calling people geeks. :rolleyes:

Yeah, was just thinking this. This is a bollox thread anyway. Do your market research elsewhere, and possibly in a less confrontational manner. Closing.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement