Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bonnet respray

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I've been considering it for ages because of masses of chips, but now I have to get it done cos some idiot (yes I know who it was and he'll be contributing) jumped on the bonnet and I slowed and hit the brakes. (It was in a driveway and there was no chance of something coming against me...the gates were only opening)...I know stupid on my part too

However, his shoes took a nice bit of my paintwork with them.

How much??? It's a corsa. metallic wine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Did the 'jumping' cause dents? Chips are handy enough to repair, but dents can be difficult - especially if they are above a boxed section of the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i think it's almost impossible to fix a bonnet properly cause they often warp. if the car is reasonably new/ expensive, you should replace it, i got a bonnet for a civic a few years ago and it was only €120. if you're not that particular, get a budget panelbeater to do his best and it shouldn't cost very much.

repair/ paint one panel- maybe €200. full replacement will probably cost €270

time spent repairing a bent bonnet would almost buy a new one. in other words, the difference between fix and replace is marginal- how much the car is worth will probably dicate strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

amazingly there are no dents just deep scrapes and I don't want rust to set in

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The bonnet will probably need to be sanded down, primed, painted and lacquered (if it is metalic). The bonnet is a large enough surface so you could be looking at a few hundred euro by my guess.

any ideas where I'd get it done in Limerick Bazz. I know there used to be a guy in Clondrinagh, but I'm not sure if he's still there

• Advertisement

is €250-€300 about right for the whole bonnet and the top of the wings (to blend new with old)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninty9er wrote:
    I've been considering it for ages because of masses of chips, but now I have to get it done cos some idiot (yes I know who it was and he'll be contributing) jumped on the bonnet and I slowed and hit the brakes. (It was in a driveway and there was no chance of something coming against me...the gates were only opening)...I know stupid on my part too

However, his shoes took a nice bit of my paintwork with them.

I wouldn't try getting any money from a pedestrian. Even if he is completely in the wrong, he could come back tomorrow and claim some medical ailment or other. The general rule is the person in the car is wrong at all times!

not a pedestrian, a friend who climbed up there, cos there was no more room left in the car, 4 passengers is quite enough for the size of it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    any ideas where I'd get it done in Limerick Bazz. I know there used to be a guy in Clondrinagh, but I'm not sure if he's still there

Call into Frank Christie, he is very good. He is a panel beater, he repaired by old man's Civic a couple of weeks when he scrapped the rear arch off his front drive gate. He didn't charge an arm and a leg for the job either and it was a good job done. Alot of taxi drivers go to him too. He has a yard directly behind the Spotted Dog pub in Jansborough. PM me and I can get his number from my old man.

Cheers Bazz, found someone who can do it next week. Just don't want rust making itself cosy on my bodywork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement