Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrared on my laptop?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I've been trying to get the infrared function going on my laptop. Unfortunately, the directions given to me by Windows have lead to dead ends galore as i seem to be missing the programmes they recommend.
    They say go into Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance

The thing is i dont even have a 'Performance and Maintenance' section when i go into Control Panel.

My laptop is an Inspiron 1300.

I want to move some stuff from my mobile phone to the laptop. I dont have Bluetooth, just Infrared.

Can anyone help me here?

Cheers in advance

Drugness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Are you sure performance and maintenance aren't coming up? It should be on the bottom left of the window.

controlpanelir9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Your Control Panel could be set to Classic view, you can change it to Category view by clicking just under the Back button in the above picture that says 'Switch to..'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Are you sure the 1300 has an infra red port?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sometimes, you have to enable the IR port in the BIOS first as it is often, for some reason, disabled by default.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tom dunne wrote:
    Are you sure the 1300 has an infra red port?
    Seconded, they dropped a lot of ports on recent inspirons

Check the BIOS (F2?)
    then run the diags (F12?) to see if it recognises there is a port
    then boot up off a linux live CD if you have one - IF and it's a big IF the port works in linux it's a windows driver problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement