Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS splash screen - how do I clear owner info?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi All

I bought a Dell PC off ebay (Optiplex) for a few quid that I want to give to a local charity for their use.

When its turned on, the BIOS splash screen displays "This computer is property of XXX" where XXX is the company that originally must have owned the machine.

How do I clear this info from the splash screen?? Any ideas welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You might be able to turn it off altogether, have a look under the BIOS menu if you have already (F2, DEL or something when the computer boots up)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it's called an Asset tag - there should be a bootable disk you can get from the dell web site

what model is it ?
    because most of the one's I've seen only allow about 10 charcters.

not sure which models this is for - and you'll probably need the admin PW
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R109071&formatcnt=1&fileid=141647

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 murphy_j

Ah, you are right, its an asset tag, I'll try to download that utility and replace it in the morning.

Im not asked for an admin password to enter the bois and it doesnt show any passwords set - is the admin password you refer to yet another password set on the system? 'cause I got no such information with it but Im sure there must be a jumper on the board to clear that if needed?

Advertisement