Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you copy cds?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I am hoping that this will be a simple enough question, though I'm not sure how to do it..

I need to make copies of about seven data cds here. They're software related cds, and I can't (don't think so anyway) do this on Windows Media Player which is the only thing i know about for copying cds, etc.

Do I need to first copy the cd to my computer, then put the blank cd into the drive and copy onto it? If so, how do I do that exactly? And also, would I need a burner?

In case this may be something significant here, One of our computer hardware units (whatever they are called) has two cd drives, this one just has the standard one.

Will really appreciate your help guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 thegoose

Yep,

- You need a burner.
    - You need some software that will copy the CD for you. for example, http://sourceforge.net/projects/burn-osx/, but there are tonnes of software tools out there... if you buy a CD burner you typically get software with it (Nero is very common...), if you already have a burner you should have software on the computer (look for nero or the like) but if not then just download something.

Using both of these... put the CD into the driver that you want to copy. Launch the software and select copy CD from it's options.... it will then start the burn process (Copies the CD into memory), ejects the original CD when done and will then request for an empty CD to be placed in the CD drive and then burns the data onto it... hopefully!

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

pog it wrote:
    Hi all! I am hoping that this will be a simple enough question, though I'm not sure how to do it..

I need to make copies of about seven data cds here. They're software related cds, and I can't (don't think so anyway) do this on Windows Media Player which is the only thing i know about for copying cds, etc.

Do you own the copyright on these cd's?
    pog it wrote:
    Do I need to first copy the cd to my computer, then put the blank cd into the drive and copy onto it?

If you only have one drive, this is the only way to do it.
    pog it wrote:
    If so, how do I do that exactly?

You'll need some software to do this for you. I think windows XP has a built in cd burning program, otherwise, have a look in the free software sticky.
    pog it wrote:
    And also, would I need a burner?

Most definitely.
    pog it wrote:
    In case this may be something significant here, One of our computer hardware units (whatever they are called)

We call these "computers". ;):D
    pog it wrote:
    has two cd drives, this one just has the standard one.

one is probably a cd burner then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi, Goose, and Cheers for help..I can't find a cd burner drive here, is it okay to use the computer's hardware unit that has two cd drives on the top, as in does one of these work as a burner??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you read the actual CD drive, it will normally tell you on there showing 'CDRW' or 'DVD ROM' on the front of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Duplicate threads merged.....

• Advertisement

Yes, there are 2 drives: top one has CD-recordable/rewritable on it, the other below that one has 52X MTRP.
    Which do I use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Put the Blank CD in the CDRW drive and the source disc in the 52X standard drive. Do you have Nero or another CD burning application installed? If not there are a few free ones out there like CDBurnerXP Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Clone CD is my fave app for copying cds

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html

Unfortunately its not free.

Thanks so much for the information everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

maybe a disc dup/triplicator?

available on bigpockets.co.uk

i personally, use nero. make an image of the CD, then burn it to a blank. If you need to make another copy at a further date, (but you dont have the original to hand), burn the image as done previously!

• Advertisement
Advertisement