Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operating system not found...

Options
  • 21-02-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

I have an old dell system, took it out last night to see if it still worked. Switched it on and got message 'operating system not found'

I thought it may be the hard-drive. I took it out and put it in another computer and it works fine. Windows is present on it.

Anyone have any ideas what would be wrong/what I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Which version of Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Check if the bootable flag is set on the Partition, check the boot order in the BIOS. Make sure there's no pen drives plugged in, etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Could be a few things. Put the drive back in and boot into the bios. Check if the hdd is detected there and set it as first boot device. If you had a usb hdd or a floppy in a drive it could try to boot from that and sometimes fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Windows 98.

How can I boot into bios? Presumably that is to set the boot order (ie hard-disk, CD rom etc)

There were no CD's, USB's or floppy's etc inserted.

It seems to be something a bit more deep...

EDIT

Seems to be an issue with some 'bad' ram. Got it working eventually. Faulty IDE cable!

I will have to re-install windows as there seems to be system files missing (so it tells me, anyway)

Advertisement