Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockers Or Komplett?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've sourced a big chunk of a build I'm going to be getting (GFX card, PSU, RAM, Case & Optical Drive) from both Komplett and Overclockers. It turns out to be €15 in the difference, cost-wise.

Now, I was just wondering, can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't order from one place or the other? I've ordered from Komplett before and have always been very happy with their service. The only thing is, though, that the optical drive is currently out of stock, so it'd arrive later.

Apart from that, there's no difference I'm aware of (customs?)... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No differences really from my perspective & experience at least.

What DVD drive are you looking at on Komplett as generally NEC are fine for usage and most of their stuff is in stock like this SATA AD-7170S, silver is there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks, 8T8.

I was looking at the Plextor PX-760A because I've heard it's very good acting keeping the hell quiet. All I really want is an optical drive that doesn't sound like it's preparing to launch my entire house to the moon when it spins; speed really isn't important to me.

Oh, and it's a huge plus if it's black, too ;) Do you think that NEC drive is fairly silent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

would build up a shopping list at dabs.ie as well and compare prices. dabs.ie might be cheaper, also factor shipping costs. Overclockers shipping costs are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

L31mr0d wrote:
    would build up a shopping list at dabs.ie as well and compare prices. dabs.ie might be cheaper, also factor shipping costs. Overclockers shipping costs are ridiculous.

I'd agree with that. I compared komplett with dabs and found dabs to be cheaper for a lot of my components ... except ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

L31mr0d wrote:
    Overclockers shipping costs are ridiculous.
    Yeah you got that right...

They deal with RMA's better (and faster) than Komplett though, thats for sure. I went through hell rma'ing a gfx card with komplett a year ago.. 1 month to get the replacement.... OcUk have just finished my tuniq rma today, and I only sent it off friday last week! They are shipping a new one back using (2 day) express delivery! Less than a weeks hassle!

• Advertisement

Ah I see that puts another spin on things as the Plextor drive is one of the few drives that has a quiet feature built directly into it's firmware instead of relying on a software based tool.

You can use a program like Nero's Drive Speed to limit the speed on the drive but it can be a bit flaky sometimes.

What I would suggest is get the Plextor and the NEC (given the low cost) and use the option on the checkout/delivery page to ship all items in stock now and ship those not in stock later. That way you get the system up & running with the NEC drive and can use the software solution in the interim while you wait for the Plextor to be delivered.

That way the NEC can be the backup drive it wont make noise if there are no discs in it & the Plextor can be the primary drive you use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

ive had far better experiences with komplett, so they get my vote.
    plus delivery will be quicker/cheaper

Cheers for all the replies, guys.

KamiKazi: Looks like my build will be very similar to yours! Was gonna go with a Zalman LED Cooler, but how do you find the Tuniq Tower? I'm going with an Antec P180B (and EVGA 680i too!), but am a little concerned about not being enough space for Tuniq

8T8: Cheers for advice. I'd ticked the "Ship Unavailable Items Later" box for the Plextor, as you suggested. I can temporarily cannibalise the drive from my existing machine for the mo until it arrives. Just a thought: I've seen a lot of guys build with TWO optical drives... Is there really any other reason than backup? I know on the fly copies of discs are quicker, but is that really reason enough to have two drives? Or am I missing something?

L3m1r0d: Checked out Dabs.ie alright - Good prices and choice indeed, but they don't have everything I want and the amount I'd save would be negligable when you consider I'd have extra shipping costs when splitting an order. In other situations than mine, though, I would definitely recommend Dabs.ie too.

So, all in all, looks like it'll be Komplett I'll be going for. I'm glad of that, because I've always had good experience with them. Gonna be nice to have this new rig up and running, especially with my shiny new Dell 2407WFP ;) (even got my Wii hooked up to it!)

I'll keep ye posted on how I get on. Haven't put in order with Komplett yet because I'm keeping a close eye on Adverts.ie for any components I can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

deathfunk wrote:
    KamiKazi: Looks like my build will be very similar to yours! Was gonna go with a Zalman LED Cooler, but how do you find the Tuniq Tower? I'm going with an Antec P180B (and EVGA 680i too!), but am a little concerned about not being enough space for Tuniq

look at my sig. I have teh P180b and the Tuniq, it will fit fine in that case. Although I can't say for definite whether it will obstruct anything else on the mobo. The tuniq is the BEST air cooler at the moment, it cools very well for overclocking. If not overclocking its very silent with the fan on low and will still cool better than stock cooling.

deathfunk wrote:
    8T8: Cheers for advice. I'd ticked the "Ship Unavailable Items Later" box for the Plextor, as you suggested. I can temporarily cannibalise the drive from my existing machine for the mo until it arrives. Just a thought: I've seen a lot of guys build with TWO optical drives... Is there really any other reason than backup? I know on the fly copies of discs are quicker, but is that really reason enough to have two drives? Or am I missing something?

Convenience more than anything else it is just handy to have two if you are feeling lazy about taking one disc out :p

That and the odd situation where one drive may be a better reader/writer than the other depending on the media.

• Advertisement

no it shouldnt obstruct anything on the motherboard

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Overclockers have a better selection, but they are horrible to deal with and messed up a few orders on me...

Never had problems with Komplett and just ordered my new gear from them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Another vote for Komplett, always great to deal with.........have ordered quite a lot from them over the years, very pleased with them, no bad experiences.

Couple of dealings with Overclockers, one not so great RMA experience.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

in my experiences

OCUK = better choice, more niche goods etc and quicker delivery.
    komplett = tad cheaper because of euro/poind but delivery is hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I deal with Dabs and Komplett i refuse to deal with a company which will not do business in euros is our money not good enough for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i hate to thro another one into the mix but for prices www.hardwareversand.de seem to be excellent and shipping is dirt cheap. in another thread i think peoples experiences have been good and there are no hidden customs or taxes to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Always dealt with Komplett.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Dealt with all 3 (dabs, overclockers, komplett). I have dealt with dabs.com and more recently dabs4work.ie a lot more however, and have to recommend them.

Fastest delivery for me was with overclocks.co.uk, and some of their special offers are very good.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I went with Komplett in the end! Got the CPU (E6700) and the motherboard (680i) second-hand from Adverts.ie and I should have everything by the end of this week, hopefully.

Was thinking I might take some pics of the build; it'd be my first such post, so expect a delicious combination of calamity and hilarity.

deathfunk wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I went with Komplett in the end! Got the CPU (E6700) and the motherboard (680i) second-hand from Adverts.ie

nice one, that'll save you a bit of cash :P

• Advertisement

Ok, so stuff's been ordered :D Anyone know what this means, exactly?

Tracking Page on An Post's Site

It's the "With Sender" that confuses me, as the Komplett site says the stuff is shipped. The combination of "Item Pre-advised" and "With Sender" makes me think that An Post are due to collect it from Komplett's warehouse, or something similar... Anyone used this kind of tracking with An Post before?

I just want to see what days I should work from home, so that I can be there to collect the gear when it arrives. I've a terrible fear of the delivery will be attempted, and then conveniently "returned" to An Post's local parcel centre in Atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

have ordered alot of gear from all
    find dabs,komplett,elara good
    now and again ,get a hard to find item from overclockers,as said there shipping costs and exchange rate can hurt
    get price list of items you looking for and see who works out best over all
    some times ,i have to split the order between two to save even with 2 shipping costs
    there good few companys out there
    sometimes you get lucky getting your gear in ireland,some times not

Received everything from Komplett yesterday. Now I'm just waiting on my DVD Writer (shipping 7th of March) and my E6700 from Flaccus (hopefully being posted today) and I'm good to go :D

Let the failings begin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've dealt with all three, OCUK/Dabs/Komplett...for me they were all pretty much the same. But it's the price issue that gets me purchasing...whomever has the best deal at the time.

Advertisement