Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Woes

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Okay, I know that there has been brief mentioning of this in the past but does anyone else have trouble finding an ATM in Ardee that isn't "TEMPORARILY OUT OF SERVICE" . I used to think it was comical but it's downright annoying now, not to mention inconvenient. The only ATM that seems to work most of the time is the one in Malones Service Station on the Drogheda Road. Surely now that the population has exploded in Ardee, the banks should cater for this. In Drogheda, the population is much bigger and I've rarely seen an ATM thats temporarily out of service. Who's to blame here?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The banks. I'd go in and complain if you have an account in a bank in the town. Or ring them if you can't call in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yes, it happened to me a few times in Ardee. Was a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Puddles wrote:
    Who's to blame here?:mad:
    AIB, for not having an ATM, forcing their customers to use the other ATMs. Personally, I've found that most weekends both Ulster Bank and Bank of ireland are lasting until Monday morning. It is odd that there are only five ATMs in Ardee, three of which are in shops (ignoring the Credit Union). Usually, Bank of Ireland runs out first, then the AIB machine in Super Valu, then the Ulster Bank machine, then the Bank of Ireland machine in O'Gorman's, and finally the Ulster Bank machine in Malone's Shell.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Whats worse is that they don't even have one in the town I live in, well not one out on the street anyway. I think they might have one in a filling station that is pretty much always out of service. Quite annoying I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

No actual ATM's here either... just 2 in shops, which never work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

europerson wrote:
    AIB, for not having an ATM, forcing their customers to use the other ATMs.

I totally agree with you there, and thats along with the inconvenience of it being a "Part-time Bank" with hilarious opening hours. My account is with the AIB and it's a joke that they don't have an ATM outside their bank and to top it off, they charge you for using a non AIB ATM.
    I went downtown last thursday night (In Ardee I might add) at about 8pm and the only ATM that was working was the one in Malones. I couldn't believe it and the weekend was just starting. Ridiculous!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

[QUOTE=PuddlesMy account is with the AIB and it's a joke that they don't have an ATM outside their bank and to top it off, they charge you for using a non AIB ATM.
    :([/QUOTE]
    Simple solution. Join another bank like the Ulster Bank who have no transaction charges and no charge for using other ATMs. Then the world is your oyster.

Logically I know you're right, but I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't HAVE to change banks to get a better service.
    What I'm really sounding off about is the lousy ATM service in Ardee.:(

Bumped into a friend that was doing grocery shopping in Super Valu yesterday and she only realised that the ATM was out of service when she had her stuff gone through at the checkout. They had to wait until she embarrassingly ran around the town to find a Cash Machine with money in it.

I was told today that the new super valu will have two ATM's "In case one goes out of order"
    Problem on the way to being solved.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Bah. Same thing sort of thing happens in Dundalk. One day I tried 4 separate ATMs in my area, and none of them were working. I had to actually go into town to the bank to get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Merrick wrote:
    Bah. Same thing sort of thing happens in Dundalk. One day I tried 4 separate ATMs in my area, and none of them were working. I had to actually go into town to the bank to get money.

Well never use the NIB on Earl Street. Disaster of a machine. I went there last year and was taking out €100. Card came out but no money. I thought I made a mistake and pressed the return card button. So I proceeded to take €80 out. All was grand until I looked at my account online. It said I had taken €100 and €80. I got onto them and they said I had to get on to my own bank about it. I did and they communicated with each other. My bank then said that nib said there was no error made.

About 2-3 months later €100 was deposited into my account. I got it back but was still hassle.

Also know a few people that their card was swallowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Be very wary of a machine that doesnt give you money. It could have a skimming device on it.

Best advice would be if the machine doesnt give you the money, take your card, go to another ATM and change your PIN. Then complain to your own bank about the money that wasnt received. I noticed this happened to me one day, I changed my PIN on another ATM. It stopped them going to an ATM and withdrawing money, but it didnt stop them clearing my account with the Laser function. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DMC wrote:
    Be very wary of a machine that doesnt give you money. It could have a skimming device on it.

Best advice would be if the machine doesnt give you the money, take your card, go to another ATM and change your PIN. Then complain to your own bank about the money that wasnt received. I noticed this happened to me one day, I changed my PIN on another ATM. It stopped them going to an ATM and withdrawing money, but it didnt stop them clearing my account with the Laser function. :(

yeh i only use them small atm's in shops unless i need a large sum of money, it cuts down on chances of it being skimmed which seems to be happening alot in dundalk

Advertisement