Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 3 year accidental damage - does it cover harddrives?

Options
  • 20-02-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I bought a Dimension 8400 from Dell 2 year ago. I just checked my invoice and it appears I took their 'CompleteCare 3Y Car Accidental Damage Cover from London General Insurance'. Lately my pc has started to making some rapid clicking noises, then freezes which I assume is an indication of imminent hard drive failure. Does anyone know if this covers the hard drive and other internal components?

Also, will Dell send me out an XP cd to reinstall windows if I ring them? As I never got any OS discs with it, unlike when I got an Windows ME system.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I ran the program Hard Drive Inspector which gave me a hardrive reliability of 82%, performance 82% and error resistance of 100%, overall good health but the temperature on is 115F, it rose to 130F at one point and I got a warning that my harddrive is too hot. So I guess the problem is the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

yes it will cover your harddrive...
    contact the dell technical support team 1850543543
    it will also cover replacement cosmetic parts...
    ie if the k on your keyboard is worn away you can get a replacement keyboard or if one of the rubber mouldings is gone from underneath you can get a whole new base etc etc.

best is the palmrests tho cos they wear pretty bad so i get them replaced every now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I was onto them last night, despite there being an obvious problem with my pc they told me there isn't. I'll be ringing them tonight to make them do something.

How hard is it to get them to do cosmetic replacements, because after the hassle I had with them last night with a major problem I think they'd laugh in my face if I asked them to replace my keyboard because the A key is a bit worn, it actually is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nephew wrote:
    I was onto them last night, despite there being an obvious problem with my pc they told me there isn't. I'll be ringing them tonight to make them do something.

How hard is it to get them to do cosmetic replacements, because after the hassle I had with them last night with a major problem I think they'd laugh in my face if I asked them to replace my keyboard because the A key is a bit worn, it actually is tbh.

Considering a keyboard costs about literally 8 euro these days for a basic one, it's hardly worth the hassle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Hi,
    Just wondering seeing as the issue was brought up. How do computer techicians here deal with customers that need a reinstall but haven't the cds. Isn't it really hard to explain "You will have to wait until the cds come in the post and ill be charging you extra because ill have to call out again".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

junii wrote:
    Hi,
    Just wondering seeing as the issue was brought up. How do computer techicians here deal with customers that need a reinstall but haven't the cds. Isn't it really hard to explain "You will have to wait until the cds come in the post and ill be charging you extra because ill have to call out again".
    Depends on the company. I do the installs myself either by call out or drop off.

Advertisement