Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 PCs sharing 1 screen - what do I use?

Options
  • 20-02-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I want to setup 2 PCs to share 1 monitor (to save desk space), as they won’t both be used at same time. Rather than plunging in / out cables, I am looking for a switch – some form of product which I can plug both pc video out cables into and then flick a switch to select monitor input.
    All I can find is ‘monitor splitters’ for splitting one monitor signal to multiple monitors.

Any advice, product names please... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Belkin do switches for this type of solution. I have used them in the past but it was a couple of years back, very simple non expensive solution.

I would imagine that PC world, etc sell them or if you can wait any of the web sites should have them to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

H2G2 wrote:
    I want to setup 2 PCs to share 1 monitor (to save desk space), as they won’t both be used at same time. Rather than plunging in / out cables, I am looking for a switch – some form of product which I can plug both pc video out cables into and then flick a switch to select monitor input.
    All I can find is ‘monitor splitters’ for splitting one monitor signal to multiple monitors.

Any advice, product names please... thanks

You need a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) swithcer. I got one in Maplin for 35 euros. I think I saw a flyer saying there's a fiver off. The switcher I gotcame complete with all the cables needed. You conected the supplied cables to the mouse, keyboard and monitor ports on the two PCs and the other end of the cables to the suppliedswitch box. Then you connected your mouse, monitor and keyboard to the box. The box also had 2 spare USB ports so you could share these ports between the machines too (Like a memory printer or webcam etc. Might be a bit dodgy switching a mem stick I'd say though). All in all very easy, quick and handy.

Can't remember the name of the product in Maplin though. But when I asked for one in PC world they didn't know what I was on about. When I explained they said they don't stock them...................... USB coffe cup warmers and glass coolers but no KVM switches.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah KVM switch is what you need. We have one in work setup to a few servers. Very handy and simple to use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Or you could save yourself a few bob and use VNC and just alt-tab between them. (edit: assuming the two PC's are on the same network).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Vagrant

Last time I was in PC world they had a few in the bargain bin area beside the registers. It's probably best not to ask the staff in there for anything other than directions to a section...Though the guys at the tech support area seem to be more knowledgable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you just want to share a monitor, you might want to buy a Dell with analogue and digital input [VGA and DVI]. I have the 1906FP and there's a button on the front to toggle inputs. It then says on the screen whether you're using the digital or analogue input.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I have a four way kvm with leads for 2 PC's which I don't use anymore which I will sell.

If you're interested let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Be warned if you're using high resolutions (e.g. 1280x1024 or higher), cheaper or older KVM switches can make things quite blurry. I was using an old Compaq KVM switch (from the late '90s I think), and even 1024x768 @ 85Hz was significantly blurrier than with the PC directly connected to the monitor.

However, it's still a lot easier to just swap around the monitor cable than swapping the keyboard and mouse - not to mention it's something possible while they're both turned on (PCs tend to not like unplugging PS/2 keyboards/mouse while on).

Advertisement