Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Language Problems

Options
  • 20-02-2007 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi, I need to use french on my computer but I'm having some problems.

1. There's a french news channel, france2.fr and whenever I stream the news there I can always see the video but can't hear the sound. I've tried looking for codecs but I'm just too clueless to find what I'm looking for.

2. I also need to use french on either Microsoft Word or Word Processor, whichever. I just need to be able to use french accents and use a french spell-check. Is there some kind of language pack for this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Assuming its XP .. you should be able to install a "french" keyboard layout and use the accents from this :)

Alternatively ...
    For acute ? use (Right ALT / ALT Gr) + letter
    áéíóú

For Grave
    Use ` + letter
    àèìòù

hopefully that helps a little bit

edit: as for the news ... its working fine for me ...
    Installed any alternative codecs / codec packs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

forbairt wrote:
    Assuming its XP .. you should be able to install a "french" keyboard layout and use the accents from this :)

Alternatively ...
    For acute ? use (Right ALT / ALT Gr) + letter
    áéíóú

For Grave
    Use ` + letter
    àèìòù

hopefully that helps a little bit

edit: as for the news ... its working fine for me ...
    Installed any alternative codecs / codec packs ?
    How do I install that layout?

News: Yeah it works fine for me on one user I checked but the one I want it to work on, it won't.

Riotguy wrote:
    How do I install that layout?

News: Yeah it works fine for me on one user I checked but the one I want it to work on, it won't.

Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details -> Add -> French (France) -> ok -> Apply

You should have a little language selection on bottom right of your screen ...

In word ... click the language selector and now your keyboard will behave as a french keyboard ...

2 7 9 0 will be .. éè ccedilla á and so on ...

Thanks

np: the joys of going out with a french translator :D

Possibley you've installed codecs for one user only or something do both accounts have the same rights ? they are on the same machine ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC for later versions of Office you also get options for French and Spanish dictioneries because of people who speak those languages in USA, everyone else has to buy ALL a pack with all the langagues :mad:

Windows only has free langague packs until they release a version in that langague , then you have to pay for a new copy in the new langague. Irish XP add on is free (80% translated) , French is a new license.

I can't remember if you can install a different lanagaue version of IE but it would affect all users.

the free stuff
    http://www.openoffice.org - you can have the interface in any langague you like , you can download any langague pack you want - all free.

you can setup a french web browser using firefox or opera,

if you use a different keyboard - remember the keys move around french keyboard is not QWERTY it's like AZERTY
    choosing a canadian french keyboard would leave you with QWERTY though

buy some stickers or CD marking pens to write the letters that move on the keys

Thanks again.

Advertisement