Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations - can we win it?

Options
  • 20-02-2007 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I think we'll win our remaining matches, and I think now that the pressure is off, we'll win them comfortably. The question is, can France be beaten? And if so, who will do it. Personally I'll be surprised if the GS is won, but I can't see us overhauling France with points difference.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just as you can't see Ireland being beaten I can't see France being beaten either.

France for the GS and Ireland second (again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Could see England turning over the French, they will be tough opposition for us also, don't write them off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I see someone random like Wales beating France.

Yea the French have a tendency to bottle it. Watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

On the plus side:

France go to Twickenham, so possibly the most likely team have them with home advantage and should give them a go.

On the minus:

France losing may not be enough! Assume Eng beat France and we beat Eng. Its gonna be a 3 way tie on points. Still a long way to go from here.

On the plus side in this sceario:

Last game of season a proud and embaressed welsh host england.

Bottom line best case we are in a 2 way tie on point with france...will we score more than them in this scenario? Historically NO, we never put the points away Vesues Italy. this year we are away to them and fr have some nice points in bag.

I cant see all these permuations panning out, not to mention a slip of our own or Englan pipping us to 3rd on points etc.

Any one know the bookies odds at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yea the French have a tendency to bottle it. Watch this space

True but 3 6N wins out of the last 5 years and with just a 1-man England team to stand in their way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

4-6 France
    11-4 England
    7-2 Ireland

France are good value. I cant see them gtting turned over on points difference.

Oh yeah, I don't think Ireland can win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Vincent Clercs try has ended Irelands championship hopes I fear! Its probably going to be a Silver medal again, provided we do the biz in the last few games. France, apart from a 100% record, have racked up a serious points for average in Rome, and even if they lose 1 of their final few games, and thats a big if, they're still gonna win the 6N's on points scored/tries scored i think. Ireland just aren't a scoring 6 tries kind of team. Its like last year all over again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

France will win it again. Still, in six months time, when Ireland beat them, being Six Nations champions for 2007 won't be any solace to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I think we'll hammer the remaining teams. I think we'll score record points possibly against all three. I just am not sure the french will lose. I agree with Sangre, Wales could be that team. They did it 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Why is everyone so sure we will win against England? they are a good team and Wilkenson is class!

They actually aren't a 'good team', they're utterly average. They lack any attacking flair. Wilkinson can get kicks? Yeah, well O'Gara isn't half bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

We should beat England. We've certainly the better backs. Up front I suspect things will cancel each other out. Our scrum has done better than expected, and our lineout is as good as expected. (Well against the French, anyway. It wasnt too hot in the first game) This is Englands first real test of the 6N's, they could surprise us, I suppose. However, an up-for-it Ireland should have 10 points on them at least! Come on Ireland!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

France should, IMO, do the GS (beating Ireland was the toughest task).

However, we can indeed slip up... Against Wales? Perhaps... Stade de France is not a "fortress" for us and they did it last time they came down...
    Beaten by England? Always a very tough team to beat away (that's why it's extra special when we do! :p ).

I hope we do the GS. But we probably won't... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Do you as Irish fans really care about winning the championship this year now.
    I mean this as a serious question as I remember the English team and supporters when it was supposed to win GS after GS, winning championships but looking like they had lost.
    That is they were so focussed on the GS knowing they had a team capable of winning that anything else was a very poor second.
    Do the Irish fans and possibly the team feel the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

The Grand Slam is the only prize that matters to me in the 6n and has been for the last few years. Triple crown doesn't mean jack anymore. If the attidute in the team is to view a season as successful if they win the triple crown then I'm afraid our international team is a joke.

To an extent I agree with the last couple of posts, really if we don't win the slam or the Chmpshp - which now looks unlikely -it is a failed campaign.
    I think Ireland should now concentrate on winning Saturday and against Scotland and Italy wring the changes, try out some fringe players. Would love to see Paddy Wallace, Neil Best, Mick O Driscoll, Rob Kearney, S Ferris, Barry Murphy play 60minutes against good opposition, then we'd know what kind of panel we have for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

GreenHell wrote:
    The Grand Slam is the only prize that matters to me in the 6n and has been for the last few years. Triple crown doesn't mean jack anymore. If the attidute in the team is to view a season as successful if they win the triple crown then I'm afraid our international team is a joke.

How can winning the championship not count for anything with you? We have a couple of recent triple crowns under our belt, so we can probably afford to be blasé about that, but winning the 6N title is hardly beneath us.

Everybody should aim to do the GS every year. To me it is the point of this tournament. Last year France won it but I wasn't ecstatic about it considering it wasn't a GS.

If a team does not aim to do the GS they shouldn't be in it really. Always aim to be the best!

• Advertisement

Of course you should aim to win the grand slam, but that won't define a successful (or not) season for most of the teams.

Italy don't have a chance of winning a grand slam in the near future - a good season for them is winning a game or two. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the tournament.

France and England have both won the competition 3 times since the inception of the 6 nations, so their respective fans may only see the Grand Slam as a good result. Ireland certainly don't have that luxury - winning the tournament should be seen as a very good result for us. Would France care if they won the world cup, but lost a pool game along the way?

I'd agree, after the England game we should focus on blooding fringe players with a view to the WC. Although of course all Eddie wants to say is it was a 'triple crown' year so he'll play a full team for the entire championship.

eoin_s wrote:
    Would France care if they won the world cup, but lost a pool game along the way?
    That would be comparing a league (6N) with a championship (RWC). You can't do that. Losing a pool game and winning the World Cup would be equivalent to a GS IMO.

For the last 5 or so years we have had the best irish team assembled, back before the last world cup winning the championship would have been a very successful season. However this team has moved on and improved and so should the standard of its fans. I'll take the point that winning the championship would reflect a good season but we're the second best team in the world, supposedly, grand slam or bust i'm afraid.

2nd best team ?, I'd reckon we're 4/5. I wouldn't fancy us against the All Blacks, Australia , S Africa or France in a knockout game.
    The surprise factor is gone, we are being heralded as a great team? lads we couldn't beat an average French team at home. I personally blame all the hype about how good we are. A bit of a kick in the pants might refocus the players. Beware the English...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

GreenHell wrote:
    For the last 5 or so years we have had the best irish team assembled, back before the last world cup winning the championship would have been a very successful season. However this team has moved on and improved and so should the standard of its fans. I'll take the point that winning the championship would reflect a good season but we're the second best team in the world, supposedly, grand slam or bust i'm afraid.

lol, i think the fans have gotten ahead of the team!!!:D :p:D

IRB World Rankings 19/02/2007 Position
    (last week) Member Union Rating points
    1(1) NEW ZEALAND 94.59
    2(2) FRANCE 87.17
    3(3) AUSTRALIA 85.55
    4(4) SOUTH AFRICA 84.71
    5(5) IRELAND 83.99
    6(6) ARGENTINA 79.61
    7(7) ENGLAND 79.48
    8(8) SCOTLAND 76.78
    9(9) WALES 75.74
    10(10) SAMOA 73.86

Of Cousres winnng the championship is a succesful campaign. We have not done this in a long time and this current team have not done it all.

The manner in which a potential GS was lost is of course what is colouring people into thinking a 6N is a poor season.

However we are only likely to finish 2nd so this debate really is a moot point. It WILL be dissapoiting season.

BUT if we are to discuss ifs and buts...

If somehow we do sneak the 6N it will have been the BEST season EVER for this team, as much as the GS is nice, how can that be a failure?

England at the peak took 4 years to win the GS Falling in a much more agonising ways than we did.
    We are punching at that level now and realistically have 2 maybe 3 more seasons where we can go into the tournoi aiming for a GS.
    I think people dont realsie or appreciate how difficult a GS is.
    Ask an english fan they will tell you !!
    Wales are the only team to have taken a 6N in the way they did but where are they now?
    we are better off building and building than a flash in the pan.
    Thats what brought Eng to a WC and this season, 6N or otherwise, will be another cruel lesson in maturity to bring to a WC where we will be one of the most experienced under pressure teams....Fra included ;)

Were we not rated 2nd after the autumn internationals?

GreenHell wrote:

But we haven't won the championship recently, so by definition, winning it would be an improvement. We don't have the track record recently, or ever, to say that it isn't good enough for us.

We have won the triple crown twice in the last 5 years, so winning that wouldn't be an improvement, it would leave us in the same place.

• Advertisement

lol, i think the fans have gotten ahead of the team!!!:D :p:D

IRB World Rankings 19/02/2007 Position
    (last week) Member Union Rating points
    1(1) NEW ZEALAND 94.59
    2(2) FRANCE 87.17
    3(3) AUSTRALIA 85.55
    4(4) SOUTH AFRICA 84.71
    5(5) IRELAND 83.99
    6(6) ARGENTINA 79.61
    7(7) ENGLAND 79.48
    8(8) SCOTLAND 76.78
    9(9) WALES 75.74
    10(10) SAMOA 73.86

Not that I believe the rankings mean much but, Ireland played 1 game less that counted for ranking points than all teams above us in the recent Tests. Given we bet SA and Oz and how close to them we are, we would be ahead of them if given the opportunity to have played a ranking test against someone else.
    ( maybe bar NZ of course, but if we had them at home back then ya never know );)

Advertisement