Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a domain controller

Options
  • 19-02-2007 5:54pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods, feel free to move if better placed elsewhere.

Anyhow, I have a domain controller that is being replaced with a new server that will be run on a workgroup instead but I'm having a few issues. Obviously when the workstations log onto the there domain controller they get there own desktop, email etc but logging onto the local machine you just get the default desktop. Each machine only ever uses the one login so I can hunt around to find the files, but in some cases your talking 2gbs of information which even in MS outlooks case has to configured.

Now I'm just wondering how do I move from a domain to workgroup but keeping the individual user desktops and files if possible at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

delly wrote:
    Mods, feel free to move if better placed elsewhere.

Anyhow, I have a domain controller that is being replaced with a new server that will be run on a workgroup instead but I'm having a few issues. Obviously when the workstations log onto the there domain controller they get there own desktop, email etc but logging onto the local machine you just get the default desktop. Each machine only ever uses the one login so I can hunt around to find the files, but in some cases your talking 2gbs of information which even in MS outlooks case has to configured.

Now I'm just wondering how do I move from a domain to workgroup but keeping the individual user desktops and files if possible at all.

You could copy the existing profile under Start=>Control Panel=>System=>Advanced=>User Profiles to your new one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Quick question, Why take a step backwards? You've more options with a domain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

LoGiE wrote:
    Quick question, Why take a step backwards? You've more options with a domain!
    Ditto.

Licensing issue(s) maybe?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well its a very simple network with about 6 workstations and the software which I provide is a package that links to a file server with a shared MDB. This has worked fine on his preinstalled server which was provided by his previous IT provider. Any time I provide the hardware to a customer I simply have a shared network on XP Pro which keeps the costs down and doesn't overcomplicate the setup.

Now his ageing server needs an update and he wanted a PC from me which again has XP pro but is very high spec. He never used the domain controller for its intended purpose and has no restrictions at all on the network, in fact he was happy to go to a setup that he could manage easier himself. I've set up a tonne of simple networks but domains aren't my thing and while changing over to a workgroup for my package is a doddle, its the desktop and user files which are causing difficulty.

While I had been looking for the user files through the documents and settings folder, I have forgot to look in the User Profiles section as Petes has suggested. I'll see if this gives me what I want. All his workstations are Win2000 btw.

Advertisement