Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting mp3 bit rates

Options
  • 19-02-2007 4:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

ok,, i wanna programme, that i doint have to pay for,, to covert the bit rate of mp3, s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jaysus. At 502 posts, you should know that this kind of request doesn't go in the programming forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yep. I just wasn't sure which forum to move this too. Hopefully the mods of Computer and Technology won't mind. If you do, send it back to programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You're going to lose significant quality converting the bit rate - even if going from lower to higher - no matter what you do. If I were you I'd leave them as they are, or just get the CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Package wrote:
    ok,, i wanna programme, that i doint have to pay for,, to covert the bit rate of mp3, s

Why? They will sound terrible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You're going to lose significant quality converting the bit rate - even if going from lower to higher
    I'm guessing you meant "even if going from higher to lower":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

sceptre wrote:
    I'm guessing you meant "even if going from higher to lower":)

Doesn't matter which way, everytime you encode it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well it does matter in the fact that you can't go from lower to higher because of the original compression it's not possible to transcode to higher quality. You're right though transcoding lossy files is an exercise in futility. If you want lower bitrates re-rip the cd.

dbpoweramp will transcode your files for you though op. It's free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Makaveli wrote:
    Well it does matter in the fact that you can't go from lower to higher because of the original compression it's not possible to transcode to higher quality. You're right though transcoding lossy files is an exercise in futility. If you want lower bitrates re-rip the cd.

dbpoweramp will transcode your files for you though op. It's free too.

You can transcode to a higher bitrate, it will just take up more space and sound worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You can but it's a false positive. A 128KBps mp3 cannot be made into a 320KBps mp3 because the data isn't there anymore it has been compressed and cut off. It's absolutely pointless doing it. You don't actually get a 320KBps mp3 you just get as you say a bigger file that sounds worse due to the transcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah that's the point I was trying to make, i.e. I did mean going from lower to higher bitrates.

Advertisement