Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting Hardware

Options
  • 18-02-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

OK so my PC seems to have died...

What happens now is that when I turn it on it boots into BIOS and then says it's DDR200 and freezes. I can get into the BIOS configuration and switch it back to 2800 (333) which is what it should be, go to save it to CMOS and exit and then it refuses to boot up again, won't even go into the BIOS, light on the monitor just stays yellow...

If I unplug it and leave it unplugged for a bit then it'll boot up again but at DDR200 and when I try to switch it back it goes again.

It reads the whole gig of memory in it when the BIOS starts, I've also tried booting with one stick and swapped them around and it'll ready 512K from both of them no problem so it's not the ram. It's also probably not the motherboard that's buggered since the BIOS will open. It's not the hard drives as it doesn't get far enough for them to be a problem.

Only thing I can think of is the CMOS battery but I'd prefer to find out from one of yourselves if you think this may be the problem before I pop down the shops to get another one...

Also, if it is the battery, can you buy these batteries in a regular shop like Spar etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Did you try resetting the bios using the jumper or reomving the battery for a sec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

ab_cork wrote:
    Did you try resetting the bios using the jumper or reomving the battery for a sec?
    Yeh I removed the battery for a minute and then put it back in and booted it up. Same story...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Do you have any USB devices plugged in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Tried it with just a PS2 keyboard and the monitor plugged into the back but other than that mainly been trying it with a USB keyboard/mouse plugged in.

Has the same issue when I had just the PS2 keyboard in though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Try some different RAM if you can get hold of some - pretty much any DDR modules *should* work.

I doubt it's the battery - if it was gone it'll be forgetting everything whenever the PC is switched off, but would still work fine when set right. They are CR2032 lithium batteries - places like Spar generally wouldn't have these, but some supermarkets do, and any shop with a decent selection of coin batteries.

Also try taking out everything else you don't need to boot your OS - any superfluous cards, drives, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement