Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb Question

Options
  • 18-02-2007 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have NO clue on pc's or virus's ect.. The deal is my laptop is takin 10 mins to boot up and opperate.... I have AVG and NORTON anti cirus and run scans regularly... What can I do to speed it up...

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You don't need 2 anti virus programs. Remove Norton (it is a resource hog) and see how better off you are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yes make sure you are running only one av.. clean out your temp files.. go to start-all programs-accessories- system tools-disk cleanup
    It will default at c drive so press okay..when it has finished analyzing there will be two ticked at the top.. you can tick more if you know what they are...this could take a while depending on when last it was done.
    Also is there lots of programs starting when you turn on your computer? is there lots of little icons near the clock? The reason that many computers are slow starting is because too many programs start when the computer does...press start- run. type msconfig and press okay. Go to the startup tab and you will see a list of processes that run at startup. Look through the list and if there are things you don't need (such as office quicklaunch,various program updaters,other quicklaunchers) untick them but make sure you leave anything avg related ticked.WHen you have finished press okay at the bottom of the window and restart at the prompt. When the computer comes back on a box will pop up about system configuration.. tick the box that says do not show this again and press okay.

All this done your computer should start faster!
    Also uninstall any programs that you don't use anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭mazroo

Its like a bullet now:)

Thanks a mill

Advertisement