Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Group Vistula

Options
  • 18-02-2007 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for information on a counter attack made by army group vistula in probably about the second week of february 1945 during the end of the second world war. I can't find much about it at all anywhere other then the obvious 'it failed', sometime in the third week of february.

Anyone know anywhere i'd get....anything?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Well here's something, but perhaps you already have the basics. If so, it does cite some references down at the bottom that might be useful.

And there's some more here
    http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Vistula-Oder_Offensive

And scroll about halfway down the page on this one where you get to Advance to the Oder (Map and notes)

And Google Scholar is your friend:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's all about the Soviet offensive along the vistula-oder....that's not what I'm looking for at all.

Army Group Vistula was a German army group formed from the remains of other armies in early 1945 - they launched a counter attack in february with up to 1,000 tanks, but it failed. Since such an allocation of tanks was the germans last big counter offensive against the russians i'm trying to find out more about it, but information is for some reason extremely scarce.

There's a few lines on it in Anthony Beevers 'berlin' but again, very little. For example, this is the only sort of coverage I can really find on-line...
    The German Eleventh Army begins a short-lived counterattack at Stargard in Pomerania.
    A counter-attack by the newly created Army Group Vistula, under the command of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler, had failed by February 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I sent you a PM there with where you will be able to find information on it.

That whole Himmler thing was a bit of a joke, wasn't it?

How's the WWI thing coming along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So far all I can find out is that there were roughly 1,200 tanks allocated to the counter offensive, making it probably the largest effort before the end of the war. Other then perhaps the offensives to relieve budapest by the sixth and another panzer army but I don't know those figures off hand. It's known as the Stargard tank battle and it had definitively failed by the 24th of February, due to weather and the subsequent effect on the area - most of the tanks broke down or got stuck in the mud.

As for my ludendorff offensive project, it's on hold for the moment....and many thanks again for that PM, much appreciated, been looking through the site and it's quite good!

Advertisement