Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Options
  • 18-02-2007 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get the new live CD and DVD set? I ordered it from Mute and it arrived last week. Spent the week listening to it, some great stuff on it. I didn't like his last album at all but the live versions pack a much harder punch. Some of the old songs though seem a bit dead with the new gospel orientated sound but all in all a good result.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Didn't like abb blues or lyhre?? I thought it was an amazing album. Babe you turn me on is one of his best songs... Wasn't that arsed bout the live album, i'll prob get it at some stage be more interested in the new studio one. Due April i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I think it was this album they were playing in Tower, last time I was there. (but not sure, girl at counter said it was new anyway). Will definitely get it at some stage. is there an album due out in April? Goodie goodie gundrops. ;)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I thought the Abbatoir\Lyre double album was his best one in ages.. Anyone heard Grinderman, his new 'side project' band? Supposed to be on the heavier and sleazier side of things, which might work out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I thought the Abbatoir\Lyre double album was his best one in ages.. Anyone heard Grinderman, his new 'side project' band? Supposed to be on the heavier and sleazier side of things, which might work out well.
    No I haven't anyway. Do they have an album out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Grinderman is the album out in April. It's him and three of the Bad Seeds playing Birthday Party-ish rock out music. Seems promising.

As for the last Bad Seeds album. I've been listening to him since Let Love In. Nick Cave is one of the longest lasting musical loves in my life, each of his albums is ****ing amazing but The Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus was just such a disappointment. It's like someone took all the life out of him and reprogrammed him as dad-rock. I bought the double LP the day it came out, played it once and couldn't bring myself to play it again. However, I don't think he's past it, I think that was just a bad patch. The Proposition soundtrack was amazing and Grinderman sounds like a return to form, just hope the new Bad Seeds record will be just as good. I should have known something was up when Blixa Bargeld left saying that he couldn't relate to the music anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

No I haven't anyway. Do they have an album out yet?

Yeah, it's not out yet, but I've heard a few songs.. Check out their video for a taste, and for a look at his new beard (parts of this are probably not safe for work \ sensitive viewers!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JoJy9ahg78
    John wrote:
    It's like someone took all the life out of him and reprogrammed him as dad-rock.
    I'm surprised somebody would interpret that record like that.. I thought the stuff on the Abbatoir disc was the most 'gritty' rock stuff he's done in a long time, knocked him off the adult-contemporary piano orientated vibe he'd been sliding into on the last couple of albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I really liked a few songs from the last record. There She Goes My Beautiful World I remember as being especially great. Nick is simply the man though. What a career.

Took all the life out of him? Well spotted for a life long fan that listened to the album once! I'll buy the LP off ya if its vinyl! Might have been a change of direction but saying it took all the life from him is a way over the top... I love artists that continually try to move their music forward and change things up, if not we'd live in a world of oasis, not the watery kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought AB\LOO was his best since "Let Love In", though that said, I thought "No More Shall we part" was terrible and "The Boatman's Call" pretty dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I can't believe theres no mention of the 'Nocturama' album? I was shocked when i listened to it first... i nearly stabbed myself in the ear when i heard 'Bring It On' for the first time. I had to check that i was in fact listening to a Nick Cave and the bad seeds album...

The man has made enough albums for there to be different favorites for different people, i like some albums better than others, but i never considered any of his albums to be bad until 'Nocturama' shook my faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nettranny

i though abattoir blues/lyre of orpheus was very good. half the songs are brilliant, there are a few weak ones that kinda take it down a bit. but it's worth it for some of the really good songs. It's more a collection of songs than an album for me. I'm put off it a little cause of that really, cause the packaging and everything makes it look like a monumental, themed album; but it ends up as just a collection of songs. but still, some of them are excellent.

I didn't like Nocturama when it came out but grew on me with time, especially "Wonderful Life", ****ing great song. I must give the last album another go but it really did leave a sour taste in my mouth. For an artist that I couldn't pick a bad song out of from The Birthday Party to No More Shall We Part (which was beautiful and million times better than The Abattoir Blues) I was shocked at how alien sounding his recent output has been.

Lordgoat, I know what you mean about artists who change their sound, that is one of the things that has appealed to me about Nick Cave for his entire career but this is a change for the worse, no sense of adventure, too formulaic. And no, even with this opinion I'm not selling my Nick Cave vinyl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I love everything up to Let Love In, which I think is probably his best (or possibly Kicking against the Pricks). Murder Ballads I thought was patchy, Boatmans Call was pretty but dull, and No More Shall We Part was weak (a few good songs but some terrible lyrics). I haven't even heard Nocturama.

The double album is not universally brilliant but there are some amazing songs on there - "Hiding all away" has an incredible ending, "Easy Money" is beautiful, "Fable of the brown ape" is ****ing weird. It is a bit overproduced though and there is quite a bit of middle-of-the-road material on there.

Nick is 50 this year - very few artists can maintain their high standards into middle-age. As they said in Trainspotting "at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever" - very few exceptions to this rule.

I love no more shall we part and nocturama ( i think nocturama shades it) but some of the songs on AB/Lyhre are easily as good as anything he's done. I look forward to his album this year more so than anything in the last 12 months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dogball

i got the grinderman stuff on bit torrent
    blues/rock/indie but most of all nick cave amazing
    regarding ncatbs albums henry's dream is my no 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dogball

any news of ncatbs or grinderman playing in ireland soon?
    i know they are playing in minehead, uk in april

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

i heard a live song on pet sounds a few nights ago
    off the new bsides/live album and it was cool

it was a story of a "mr shang a lang"
    with a classic blues vibe, with a gospel style backing

can someone give the name of the track,
    is it a cover?

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeh, I got the Grinderman. It's quite good.

I picked it up over the weekend, class stuff. Way better than the recent Bad Seeds stuff. Funny as hell in places too.

Advertisement