Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine gael question.

Options
  • 18-02-2007 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I have to ask this question ,I find it hard to stomach the story I was told.

The jist of what I was told is that ,Fine gael during english rule use to hand over huge amounts of our money to the english .
    They were found out when we got back control as far as I gather ,
    this makes me cringe thinking about it ,can anyone clarify what happened ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Fine Gael has was formed in 1933, 11 years after Independence. Modern Fine Gael was formed from the old Cumann na nGaedhael party which was made up of pro-Treaty "old" Sinn Fein TDs. As far as my knowledge of Irish history goes, noone involved in "old" Sinn Fein and what became Fine Gael and Fianna Fail had a hand in governing the country prior to the formation of the first Dail (which was considered treasonous by the British). Sounds like BS to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I presume you mean CnaG transferring payments of land annuities due to Britain. This was when the Irish farmers were paying a sort of mortgage for the land they had managed to purchase after the British Land Acts basically killed off Landlordism here. Farmers were paying almost no income tax at this time.

DeValera said he would end annuities as part of his 1932 manifesto, but actually kept gathering the payments, and just decided not to pass them on to Britain.

But if you want to talk about hardship, read up on the economic war that followed. Anyway, it's really a history question surely?

InFront wrote:
    DeValera said he would end annuities as part of his 1932 manifesto, but actually kept gathering the payments, and just decided not to pass them on to Britain.

But if you want to talk about hardship, read up on the economic war that followed. Anyway, it's really a history question surely?
    Yes,yes it is.
    Moved to history.

Advertisement