Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange MS Office problem!

Options
  • 17-02-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I just noticed this morning that any time I launch any of the Office progs the "Save As" dialogue box automatically pops up. It wont go away when I press cancel! :(

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

there have been some critical security updates pushed out by microsoft in the last few days. it mightn't be a bad idea to see if you have your system up to date.

other than that, you could run the antispyware software in essential software sticky.

If you cant find any other direct cause for the problem, a reinstall or repair of the office programs would probably fix things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

eolhc wrote:
    there have been some critical security updates pushed out by microsoft in the last few days. it mightn't be a bad idea to see if you have your system up to date.

other than that, you could run the antispyware software in essential software sticky.

If you cant find any other direct cause for the problem, a reinstall or repair of the office programs would probably fix things.

I did a virus and spyware check and it came up with nothing. I also stook in the Office CD and choose repair but it did nothing.

I will try re-installing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version ?

Any macros ?

find normal.dot and rename it and try again.

Have you installed the new conversion utility - it offers new save as options for the xml formats

Which version ?

Any macros ?

Have you installed the new conversion utility - it offers new save as options for the xml formats

It's Office 2003. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still the same prob! :(

No I haven't installed a new conversion - I don't even know what it is! lol

If I rename normal.dot will it produce another automatically?

I found a normal.fmt but not a .dot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Have you updated Office after re-installing it? There are service packs for Office too :)

I you go to the Windows Update site (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) and upgrade to "Microsoft Update", it will do updates for Office through this as well.

Have you updated Office after re-installing it? There are service packs for Office too :)

I you go to the Windows Update site (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) and upgrade to "Microsoft Update", it will do updates for Office through this as well.

Yea I have done all that! I thought maybe a key on my keyboard maybe jammed so it was constantly bringing up the Save As box but disconected it and the problem remained! Its a funny one!

Unless my anti-virus isn't picking a virus up. I launched OpenOffice and I noticed the word processor was acting up to!

Hmmm, this may actually be a virus. Even though AVG hasn't picked up on anything!

I noticed too that I cannot select text on webpages when using the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Run the ActiveScan at http://www.pandasoftware.com/. I find it quite good at picking up stuff that an AV prog missed.

irlrobins wrote:
    Run the ActiveScan at http://www.pandasoftware.com/. I find it quite good at picking up stuff that an AV prog missed.

I will try that thanks! Does it remove any detections or does it just point them out to you and suggest you purchase their products?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

AFAIK it will remove viruses. But even if it doesn't it will name them and you can then download a separate removal tool.

Advertisement