Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Indie bands & "The Sea "

Options
  • 17-02-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

It has come to my attention over the last few years that for some reason US indie bands have developed a fascination with nautical topics like “Boats “ and the “Ocean “ .

Be it in the subjects and lyrics of songs , or in the sea shanty style songs of many of the new-folk groups.

Can anyone explain this ? …it could just be down to the influence of a album like Neutral Milk Hotel’s - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    had on a new generation of post grunge bands.

Some albums with sea based songs that come to mind are (well according to my iTunes library ):

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Death Cab for Cutie – Transatlanticism

Iron & Wine - The Sea & the Rhythm

Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Matt Sweeney – Superwolf

The Decemberists – all their albums .

CocoRosie - noah's ark

Akron/Family - Akron/Family

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

M. Ward - Transistor Radio

Mercury Rev - Secret Migration

Can we think of any more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Maybe they're all fans of the album Ocean Songs by Dirty Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

You shouldn't forget Jason Noble. Any band he's been in or associated with - June of 44, Rachel's, Rodan, Shipping News. The guy's obsessed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah, bogman, exactly what I was gonna say! Jo44 would be the most sea-o-philic band I know! 'Tropics & Meridinas', 'Engine Takes to Water', 'Four Great Points'. Ha.

God I love all those bands and am sickened for never having seen Jo44 when they played, and Rachel's never made it here 'cos of bad weather.

Anyway, no biggie with sea/water obsessions. It's a well-recognised, powerful psychological archetype. The sea is often used to describe the mind, its dark depths, unpredictability, immense undercurrents below a surface of calm, and so on. 'Sturm und drang' people!

There you go, another semi-nautical band: Storm and Stress.

Not quite so nautical, but also The Sea and Cake.

Advertisement