Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that music Genre

Options
  • 16-02-2007 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Kind of an odd question but does anyone know what kind of music genre the (theme) music for Battlestar Gallactica would fit into? Its drum based and sounds kinda african and is played at anytime they do a load of cut scenes like at the start of every episode just after the opening scene.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think theres some IndianHindu-type music / instruments used if thats any use.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I heard it was based around some celtic music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Its Hindi/Indian Style Music with Celtic Lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback, Im a little confused though coz peole have mentioned lyrics. I guess the lyrics during the opening scene might be celtic (as an aside does anyone know the words of their meaning?) but what I was trying to focus on was that background music during the like 10seconds at the start of every episode that it does flash scense from the episode - does everyone know what Im talking about or have I not explained it well?

Its mostly drums and its used as a background mood setter throughout the episodes aswell for scenes of action or tension etc.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The soundtracks are fantastic, composed by a guy called Bear (heh) McCreary.

As far as I know what genre, I'd say there is some Asian drumming in there, Chinese, Nepalese (often saw some accompanying the Shaolin Warrior Monk guy shows, awesome) or Japanese I'd guess, but as far as artists go I have no idea.

Edit: Had a look through Wikipedia and Japanese Taiko drums look right to me, but I don't actually know if Bear uses them in BSG.

The samples on this page and this page sound similar too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Bear's stuff for BSG is quite Minimalist influenced, as was noted with his use of Metamorphosis by Philip Glass, and the Cylon piano theme, which is very Glass influenced.

His composition has definitely brought something extra to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

what i cant wait for is season 3 soundtrack in stores i love that piece that plays on the basestars with baltar

Advertisement