Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBS with French or Japanese

Options
  • 16-02-2007 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

I've noticed the thread with Law and Accounting and was just wondering if I could have peoples take/opinion/rants on either Business with Japanese or French.

I won't give my opinion yet. It is reallt a 50/50 choice for me as I love learning both languages equally.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

im only going BBS by itself, but I don't know anyone who's doing with BBS and Japanese....everyone doing BBS with French seems to love it, but my cousin did Japanese as part of her course (European Studies) and she said it was really hard...

hope that helps somehow!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I'm actually in my final year of BBS with Japanese and I must say I'm very happy I chose the course.

Have you any prior experience of learning Japanese? If so, it would be very advantageous to you. I came in with no Japanese whatsoever but the course is geared towards people starting for the first time, so that was perfect for me.

There always seems to be a decent number of people in the Japanese 1st year classes but these inevitably seem to decline as the course progresses due to people dropping out. I will say this to you: You should know why you want to study the language, and shouldn't stick it on the CAO if you just want to see what its like and because it seems different. The course is tough enough but its highly rewarding as well and at the moment its certainly the most enjoyable part of my degree. It provides something completely different from the typical finance/business/economics subjects that will take up the rest of your timetable.

I spent my Coop last year in Tokyo for 7 months and it was one of the most fantastic periods in my life and something I would never have envisaged myself doing without the BBS + Japanese. I believe that Japanese is also far more advantageous to have upon Graduation as well. At the moment I am the only 4th yr studying BBS and Japanese (there's 7 people in the Japanese class though), whereas another c.400 people will graduate with the BBS degree in the same year and c.40 with BBS/French. It helps to differentiate your degree and make your CV stand out.

French is still a very worthwhile choice as well and as the above poster said, people seem to enjoy the course also. Its entirely your choice, I suppose my main advice is to just think about what you want to do with the language after you graduate.

If you want any more info, just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm doing BBS from CAO, but BBS & German practically because any of the other elective modules didn't appeal to me so I took German. Only one person took the BBS & Japanese route in September 05, but I suppose the numbers are always up and down

Advertisement