Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limiting bandwidth on a PC

Options
  • 16-02-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I want to limit the speed up and down of an internet connection on a pc, i want to do this locally to the PC, want the users to have full admin control of the machine except i dont want them able to alter the bandwidth speeds, is there free software i can install that will limit there connection and not allow them to turn it of or alter the settings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have asked this question before. There is software but it dosent really work. Cfos works a little bit. but not much. As you have to specify what programs are allowed what b/w. Its just a pain in the head.

Some routers have this option built into them, but its very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's a windows PC and the user has admin rights then you have to be sneaky.

messy ways squidnt and setup throttling (not trivial)

or use a serial cable to another PC and direct network connection - speed is limited to serial port speed 112Kb or whatever you set it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

yeah its a wireless connection to the router, im a bit of a techy head and i need my bandwidth but i have a spare pc that i let my family use but there all mad into wanting to download huge files and sending large things to there friends tying up my internet connection, dont think netlimiter works to good, used it before and my brother could edit it/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Netlimiter works a charm for me, does what it says really. Iv got 3 other pc's on my wireless network and iv managed to sneak NL onto 2 of them so far :D . My sister loves visiting those bebo/myspace pages with a dozen bloody youtube videos which sends my pings in-game to utter ****e. Netlimiter sorted it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement