Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Problem

Options
  • 16-02-2007 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hay,

After being connected to my Network for about 5 mins my connection drops out. Saying Cable unplugged. One green light on the card flashes 1 sec on 1 sec off.

Windows XP pro. AMD Athlon 1800. Gigabyte Board
    I had two network cards on my machine both PCI (Admtek AN983 (983b chip) and a Realtek Rtl8139 Family (8139c chip)). I was using Internet Connection Sharing, dont need it anymore but never removed second card.

When the problem first arose I swapped around the cable to the other card and once again it would work for 5 mins or so.

I uninstalled both restarted computer, updated drivers and the problem still happens. After that. I uninstalled both, turned off computer and took out both cards. Restarted (with no cards), the only network adapter available then was the 1394 net adapter from my sound card. Then turned off and put only one (the Admtek) back in the computer in a different PCI slot. Still same problem..

The cable I have is 40metres and running thru ceiling cavity, plastic trunking etc to get to the router, the only option that is available to me. So it would be a real pain to have to replace. I thought the jack (plug), could be faulty so replaced that. Still the same problem but now I seem to get 20-30 mins before it disconnects.

My question is, have I missed something obvious, eg is it possible for 2 network cards to both break at the same time or maybe something on the motherboard.

Thanks.

ps Sorry if this is confusing but trying to give as much info as possible.

Advertisement