Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an image on bmap fromat?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭

I have scanned a few maps on my Lexmark X-74 all in one printer and have emailed them to a friend who is having a little bother at his end. The images are in jpeg format but now my mate tells me I need to save them in bmap format before emailing them. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Are you sure he's not talking about .bmp, ie bitmap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

feylya wrote:
    Are you sure he's not talking about .bmp, ie bitmap?

I was about to ask the same question!You could try just changing the file extension to .bmp instead of .jpg. Make sure to make a copy of the files first though!

Or you could try opening each file as a jpg. Then select "save as" from the file menu and choose bmp as the file type.

It has worked for me in the past.

That's presuming that you do in fact mean .bmp (bitmap) instead of bmap?

Do not just change the file extension! You must open them and resave them in order to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks. I think it is bitmap that he is referring to. I will open a couple of them and see if I can save in the different format.

Heres what happening. The images were saved with Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I opened one and went to save as but its not allowing me any alternative other than change the name of the file.

I then went to tools and its just giving me a list of the file types that the Picture Manager can open - JPEG, GIF, BMP and PMG

Is there anyway I can configure the scanner to save in BMP format?

• Advertisement

Open the pictures in MS Paint then save as .bmp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bitmap is just about the LARGEST possible way of sending a file. We're talking 24MB for an A4 page. (might be slightly larger if you used RLE BMP )

Open the jpeg in mspaint and save it as a bitmap for all the good it will do.

maybe there is a specific bmap format that isn't bmp
    http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=bmap&Search=Search

Some newer jpg's can't be read by older programs - photo editor in microsoft office - but it should still open in IE

Ah that appears to be working - now which BMP should I save them in - the options are - Monochrome Bitmap, 16 color Bitmap, 256 color Bitmap, 24-bit Bitmap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

You do know of course that its going to be hard to email those !! They will be huge and most email accounts have restrictions on mail size !!

If its bitmap you want then go for 16 bit , it'll keep the size down a bit.

I saved them in 24-bit Bitmap format and the 3 files are 38.4MB compared to 1.41MB in jpeg. Will have to re-save

• Advertisement

24-bit Bitmap. 16 colour will result in crappy pictures.

Edit: Bitmaps will be huge. Find out why he wants them in bmp instead of jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

mathias wrote:
    You do know of course that its going to be hard to email those !! They will be huge and most emails have restrictions on mail size !!

If its bitmap you want then go for 16 bit , it'll keep the size down a bit.

Try zipping the .bmp files (select *all* the files, right click, send to, Compressed (Zipped) folder), send the resulting zip file which should be dramatically smaller than the originals..

feylya wrote:
    24-bit Bitmap. 16 colour will result in crappy pictures.

Edit: Bitmaps will be huge. Find out why he wants them in bmp instead of jpg
    I was just playing around with the different options and yes the 16 color is sh1t alright. 256 is not bad but the 24 -bit is good but huge.

I know he's using an autocad programme to check an area of map but I will get a few more details tomorrow.

Edit: Heres what he said in email reply - "I think I found the reason we had a problem with using maps scanned from your scanner. Check to see what fromat it saves scanned images as. If it is jpeg, change it to bmap."

Ah, fair enough. If you zip them up like McSandwich mentioned, they should be back to about jpg size but still be bmp.

Just done that feyla. Went to the sent items folder to check that it emailed OK and apparently I had Winzip for a trial period only which had expired (probably about 6 months ago). Not sure now if he will get it or not but will know tomorrow - or later today i should say

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use http://www.7zip.org instead of winzip
    you can right click on a file , create archive, you can choose zip format if you don't want to use the far better .7z one

Advertisement