Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow transfer rates with SD card

Options
  • 16-02-2007 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Me again!
    so I bought this 4 gig SD card for my PDA. It offers a transfer rate of 20MB/s but the transfer rates are terrible and go at roughly .1MB/s.
    so it takes ages to transfer say a 350 MB avi file.

Now my system specs aren't great, I don't have USB 2.0. Nor do I have a card reader. Currently I load files through the docking station for my HP Ipaq.
    Without spending a tonne of money what's the best route to go for increased speed? I mean this is waaaaay slower than transfer to a regular USB key, so is going via the docking station slowing things down, in which case get a card reader, or would getting usb2.0 solve all my problems?
    I'd rather not have to get both.
    cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

20MB/s is burst speed, not sustained speed.

a simple card reader for 10€ from pcworld would speed it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

cheers. its still dreadfully slow don't you agree? and apparently i have 1 USB2.0 slot hiding here somewhere...

IT is slow alright. It should be faster then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,031 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sounds like the pda is a low speed usb device, in which case a card reader would give you ten times the speed 1.5 mbytes/s and a good card reader with usb2.0 pci card would give you even better performance

if its a newer model ipaq, it seems strange it's so slow

btw if your usb drivers aren't installed it might be limiting the speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

It;s about 2 years old...my dad got it as a present so i'm only using it now. yeah reckoned it was the pda. shall pop out and buy a card reader tomorrow. Dell are a lying shower of sods, they say I have USB 2.0 but This hardware detection software im using says i have one out of eight ...somewhere.
    oh well. thanks for your help guys!

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote:
    sounds like the pda is a low speed usb device, in which case a card reader would give you ten times the speed 1.5 mbytes/s and a good card reader with usb2.0 pci card would give you even better performance

if its a newer model ipaq, it seems strange it's so slow

btw if your usb drivers aren't installed it might be limiting the speed

usb 1.0 drivers come bundled with windows....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,031 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Anti wrote:
    usb 1.0 drivers come bundled with windows....

yeah, but he said he might have usb 2.0, so if usb2.0 is not working it could be driver related

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah on the older Dell's unless you reinstalled updated drivers you would be limited to USB 1 speed,

Advertisement