Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brian d'arcy on ryan confidential

Options
  • 16-02-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Does anyone know if RTE host the ryan confidential programs on their website? Did anyone else see it tonight?

i'd like to watch it again. A very interesting and frank interveriew with Brian D'Arcy. I think people in this forum would find the program to be worth watching.

SOP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Could I ask you what the interview was about?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

I was watching the new show sunset strip on TVPee and flicked around during the adds. It was a curiosity at first, but the more i watched the more fascinated i became.

The interview was about Brian's life. He described his first days in the seminar, his role as a priest in the spot light, the pedophiles in the church, how he felt that the only thing that mattered was the victims and the church was secondary, his open criticism of the catholic church. He described an incident in a party after the late late show one night where Bono asked him out directly "Why the **** are you still a priest?". This question threw him and he talked about how he went home and thought about this all night. Lots of other stuff. I don't know how to describe it, i was just totally impressed with the guy.

What really fascinated me was the last question.
    Ryan asked him if he still believed in god. Brian answered that he saw God in many things. He went on to say how he didn't believe in the same God that he did when he joined, he didn't believe the same as he did in the first 10 years of the priesthood. He described many things where he saw God, but what he was really describing was love. He said as much in the end where he said something like "love basically". It appeared to me that he pretty much dismissed the idea of an interventionist or abrahamic God. The guy is obviously a very spiritual man, but in a way that i could totally relate to.

Advertisement