Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'My Computer' sees DVD drive as memory card

Options
  • 15-02-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Not a problem as such but befuddling. In the 'My Computer' view, my DVD drive shows as a memory card, with or, without a disc inserted. Apart from that it works fine. The drive doesn't seem to be the problem as I've recently changed it without effect. Any explanations\prognostications? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Did it always do so? If not, it may simply be that Windows has become chronically deranged, as quite often happens. Best just ignore it and be thankful it didn't cause the computer to catch fire.

Verity Stob describes the phenomenon better than I ever could: http://www.ddj.com/184405140

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Quixote1064

Deranged Windows sounds about right. Hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Possibly the icon cache has not been properly refreshed.

Install TweakUI

Under "Repair" select repair icons then click repair now & see if that does anything.

Thanks 828. Didn't solve the problem but looks like a useful little tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well you could try changing the drive letter go into control panel/administrative tools\disk management and right click on the drive letter with the affected icon and select change driver letter/path.

Pick another letter and close then open my computer and see if the SDCard icon is still present.

• Advertisement

I was just about to try changing the drive letter as suggested when I noticed that everything is back to normal. Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement