Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus scan using straight through cable

Options
  • 15-02-2007 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Could I connect a laptop to a desktop with a straight through cable, share the c:\ drive on the desktop and scan using the laptops virus scan/spyware programs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not with a straight through cable, you would need a cross over cable. Unless you have a router.

You would need to map the drives to a drive letter on the desktop and then scan them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

tom dunne wrote:
    Not with a straight through cable, you would need a cross over cable. Unless you have a router.

You would need to map the drives to a drive letter on the desktop and then scan them.

Silly me. It is a cross over cable I have.

So I share C:\from the desktop and map it on the Laptop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or even a boot disk with the av on it

to scan across the cable you'd have to setup filesharing and even then you won't pickup stuff that hides itself well

Advertisement