Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive listed in device manager but not appearing in my computer

Options
  • 15-02-2007 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys jst after being a s-ata hard drive off komplett
    got one of those s-ata to usb2.0 converter cables
    comes with a power suppl n all
    so i connected it up and it doesnt appear in my computer at all
    buts its there under drives in device manager and under pproperties it says its functioning properly
    any ideas of how to get the HD to work properly, i.e. a[ppear in my computer
    thanks
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Go to " Start " , " Control Panel" , "Administrative tools" , and then " computer management" , in there you should see an item called Disc management ,

Click on this , if you can see your drive in here then its probably listed as " un allocated" , if so , create a new partition for the full size of the drive ( or whatever way you want ) and format it , then all should be well.

Be warned , this can take a while , depending on the size of the drive !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

hih there thanks for replying
    but the disk is not listed on this page u refer to.
    mathias wrote:
    Go to " Start " , " Control Panel" , "Administrative tools" , and then " computer management" , in there you should see an item called Disc management ,

Click on this , if you can see your drive in here then its probably listed as " un allocated" , if so , create a new partition for the full size of the drive ( or whatever way you want ) and format it , then all should be well.

Be warned , this can take a while , depending on the size of the drive !!

Its a more fundamental problem so , need some more detail , is the hard drive external , or internal , Im taking it that its external as you connect using USB ?
    Is that correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

mathias wrote:
    Its a more fundamental problem so , need some more detail , is the hard drive external , or internal , Im taking it that its external as you connect using USB ?
    Is that correct ?
    the hd is external and connecting via a s-ata to usb converter cable

Okay if its a USB drive it really should show up in disk management , try unplugging it and plugging it in again , it should show up under disk management but will have no drive letter ( should say "unknown" ) and will say " not initialized " like the drive in this picture .

The issue here is that the drive is not formatted so does not get assigned a drive letter.
    If it doesnt show up in disk management I really dont know where to go from there as thats about the extent of my knowledge on this.
    You could try formatting the drive on another computer or format it using Fdisk if you know how to run that ( it runs under msdos ) , but using disk management is by far the easiest option here ,!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement