Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM: Dimesion 8100 query

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi
    have a dell dimension 8100 with the original 2 x 128 rdram installed running windows 20000

1. will windows xp run on 256 ram /

2. eitherways want to upgrade the ram have 2 available slots, does any one know if
    I can up grade with say 2 x 256 sticks and leave the two original in
    (= can u have sticks of different size installed in a dell?)
    can i remove the original sticks ? ( am told Dell mmake it removing their factory-installed ram makes the pc unfunctional )

can I even upgrade to 2 x 512 sticks ?

and advice would be very much appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

1. It will run on 256MB.

EEK, your computer has RAMBUS *dun dunnnnn* ram it looks like, I hope I am incorrect! It is horribly expensive, 1 stick of 256MB is 108.09 eurons on crucial.com/eu.

4) Why is Rambus RAM so expensive?

RAMBUS Ram (RDRAM) is licensed by the RAMBUS Inc., so no other company manufacturers this type of RAM. It fits into the RIMM slot as opposed to the DIMM slot in most PCs today. RDRAM was brought in to replace SDRAM and to challenge DDR SDRAM. The memory chips themselves put out significantly more heat than SDRAM chips so heatsinks are needed on RIMM devices. It is very complex to manufacture and also costs a good deal more than SDRAM.

You might be cheaper getting a new motherboard. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ye Gods but thats expensive memory , just looked it up , over 100 euros for 256 , scandalous !! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Considering you can probably buy a completel new machine with a better overall spec for €200-300 it doesn't make sense to upgrade that 8100.

Ruu wrote:

You might be cheaper getting a new motherboard. :)

To expensive on a Dell. Perhaps a different bear Dell chassis that take a different kinda ram like a 4600/4700 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Dimension 8100 motherboard looks different to all the other Dell motherboards I've seen and looks nothing like a standard ATX/micro-ATX board.

If you look second-hand like on eBay you may be able to get 512MB for about €40-60 depending on how lucky you are ;)

From my experience buying any sort of old RAM new - be it SDRAM or Rambus or anything - just isn't worth it. New prices for SDRAM are nearly as bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Thanks for the replies
    Its my brothers pc which i was clearing a worm off (Linkbot.ch - troublesome to say the least)
    I dunno whether he is attached tot he pc or just mean

Every thign I was doing took some effort, even gettign it to recognise drivers etc, - dunno if its was just windows2000 which i'm not used to, or the machine, or both

anyways I found this, and some smaller options (2 x 256 etc)

would this be ok ? ( I don't mean the seller, seems ok re feedback etc) just would it work ?

thanks again

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280081038610&rd=1&rd=1

Sorry BostonB maybe I'm a little confused
    the link you posted is for 4x 64= 256 ? 256 is already in it
    can I ask exactly what i need to look for if I bought though ebay
    e.g is the link I provided usuable RAM ,

do I need to look for RDRAM or more specific

and also can he remove the 2 original sticks - i.e. is he right in saying Dell stick crap on them that he needs for the pc to functiion?

much appreciated

???

AFAIK you need to look for PC800-45 (that means 800MHz, 45ns) RDRAM. I think it'll also work with faster PC800-40 RAM but that seems to cost a good bit more. They need to be in matched pairs, i.e. two identical RIMMs (same product code and everything).

I have just recently acquired the same PC, and have the same problem in that it only has 256MB. Windows XP uses the pagefile a lot :(
    512MB would be grand for everyday stuff, but if you intend on playing games or doing video editing or something I'd recommend more. iTunes also likes to eat RAM :D

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't look to closely. I dunno why you are bothering with it. You'll buy a an entire PC thats faster than the 8100, probably cheaper than getting the ram. The ram is what about €200 for 256mb. Thats nuts.

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension+8100+Series

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=17306&cat=8
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=17712&cat=8
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=17279&cat=8

Less what you sell the 8100 for.

That's why I said to buy second-hand ;)
    I've seen 256MB go for about €50 eBay which is quite acceptable - similar to what you'd pay for SDRAM anyway. I bet if you looked for new 72-pin EDO RAM it'd be hideously expensive too.

Advertisement