Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exciting news? mmh, not quite.

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

remember a while back there was a HUGE thread about the mtv article that stated that weezer would be splitting up?

well it now seems it's 100% untrue as Rivers himself has sent demos for album #6 to you guessed it Rick Rubin *shudders*

now i never doubted weezer would have broken up but after their last 3 efforts, i'm still a eager fan waiting for a new album to see if it's a return to form that is so desparately needed. i'm excited that weezer will record a new album but i'm really disappointed that Rubin will be at the helm again.

here's the article here the article also contains news about metallica, linkin park and u2

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Yeah, read a few months ago in an article (sorry, can't remember what or where and have no link) that Rivers came out and publically denied it all and they were still together!

Glad to see more on the way, and yeah I agree taht it better be better than some of the more recent stuff!

By the way, we're covering "Pinkerton" on the album archive this Sat at 9pm on Phantom 105.2.....www.phantom.ie....if anyone wants to hear an hour of weezer on the radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Cremo wrote:
    i'm excited that weezer will record a new album but i'm really disappointed that Rubin will be at the helm again.

Exactly. There were little glimmers on Make Believe which suggested that it could have been a great album, but there were way too many bad choices (Freak Me Out, anyone?) that just weighed the whole thing down.
    catch--22 wrote:
    By the way, we're covering "Pinkerton" on the album archive this Sat at 9pm on Phantom 105.2.....www.phantom.ie....if anyone wants to hear an hour of weezer on the radio!

Will def be listening out for that, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

stargal wrote:
    Exactly. There were little glimmers on Make Believe which suggested that it could have been a great album, but there were way too many bad choices (Freak Me Out, anyone?) that just weighed the whole thing down.

i'd have to disagree with freak me out, sure it wasn't a great song but it showed that weezer were willing to experiment and write a song but musically and lyrically that they've never done before.

beverly hills and we are all on drugs have to be the worst two on that album and sound like something mcfly would write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

There were good songs on it but they just seemed to throw everything into it, a bit too MOR, nothing set it apart, seemed to be made for MTV.
    Freak Me Out wasnt the worst. We Are All On Drugs makes me cringe the lyric "gimme some of that stuff" is awful

Cremo wrote:
    i'd have to disagree with freak me out, sure it wasn't a great song but it showed that weezer were willing to experiment and write a song but musically and lyrically that they've never done before.

Doing new things is great, if the end result justifies it. However there's something about Freak Me Out that just makes me shudder.

We Are All on Drugs is possibly the worst thing that Weezer have ever committed to record, with "I want to confiscate your drugs..." possibly the single worst lyric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that line in we are all on drugs wasn't meant to be there.

the record label committed the wrong recording of the song to record ;)

the line that's meant to be there is "i want to reach a higer plane, were things will never be the same"

much better lyric but still terrible.

i must admit though that the video for the song - not the grim reaper one - is one of the best weezer videos.

Yeah, I heard that before; apparently the later editions (?) of Make Believe have the correct lyric on them. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the bad one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Good news as far as I'm concerned.

I like Beverly Hills - good pop tune. How is it much different to a lot of the stuff on the Green album? Green's my least favourite Weezer album but you know what I mean, wasn't exactly a quantum leap. Thought Freak Me Out was terrible, sounded like Backstreet Boys.

Ruben's done great work with other artists (I'm not too familiar with a lot of his stuff with rap and metal but he's done great work with RHCP, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond) so I don't see why he's solely to blame for Make Believe being weak in parts. Any new Weez is good news as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

yea let's hope they can reach the heights of the blue album again. somehow i doubt it though. that album's one in a million...

alot of people rag on maladroit but i think its a great album. Make believe has some really good songs but too many mediocre one's - better quality control is needed. i guess it could be worse in that department - stadium arcadium anyone?
    there's some discarded album 5 demo's from 2002 that shouldve made it onto make believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

rivers wrote:
    alot of people rag on maladroit but i think its a great album. Make believe has some really good songs but too many mediocre one's - better quality control is needed. i guess it could be worse in that department - stadium arcadium anyone?
    there's some discarded album 5 demo's from 2002 that shouldve made it onto make believe.

Spot on all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement