Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New skate park - Tramore

Options
  • 15-02-2007 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

New skatepark open in tramore, waterford. Its in the same place as the last one, on the prom by tbay but its much better :). ill get some pics up when i get a chance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

excellent, the more parks the better

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Skatedude wrote:
    excellent, the more parks the better
    I hate to be a sarcastic prik, but REALLY.

Whats this skatepark like? is it wood or concrete? Bowls or plaza style?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Correct me if I am wrong but Tramore skatepark is listed on the rhino ramps site:http://www.rhino-ramps.com/2004/uk/index.php?sub=instalations

But if you have a look at their better size skateparks they are not that bad really.
    400 world wide..they must be doing something right..and they claim to be designed and built by skaters for skaters..what a joke slippy as a playground slide even when dry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Yeah, they're extractin OUR public money from council people who are either too stupid or too lazy to provide somethin better!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

These same people will get up on their soapboxes & say "We told ya so" when this Rhino SH*TE is in bits & the locals are back to skatin street spots.
    Self-fulfillin prophecy.

Sorry for bein so aggro, but some of us have banged our heads against this sorta crap for close to 20 years.
    South Dublin County Council (Lucan), Dublin City (Bushy), Wicklow Coco (Greystones) & Wexford (Gorey) all need to be congratulated & used as examples of how to do it right.

Every other council needs to start coppin on.

'MODULAR' parks are second-rate AT BEST
    - more often than not, they are rubbish.

If we (Skaters/bikers) don't get involved & TELL these people what works & what doesn't then they can't really be blamed.....

I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised by Tramore - but I doubt it.

If ya care about skateparks, get involved
    Cheers,

JohnBoy

I here where you are comming from,I was skating in 1977 until 1992 and still skate now and again.
    I ride bmx now.

I am involved,we are trying to convince the cork city council to give the ramp contract for the ballincollig skatepark to some other company besides rhino.The concrete slab is nearly done at this stage,but the contract for the ramps is still up for tender.
    I am sure eventhough there are a fair few skateparks up and running street spots are still going to be used!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

yea its a rhino ramps thing.... its actually not too slippy though. only the miniramp is slippy

At least ye got a mini ramp..going checking the weather now might head down that way today!!Bringing kites and landboard and bmx!!

Looks like the weather is better for tomorrow saturday.Shanethemofo, any chance of getting those photos up?

Ya dude can you tell us which design on this page the layout is?:
    http://www.rhino-ramps.com/2004/uk/index.php?sub=3d_designs

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Time for my pennies worth......
    If the rhino ramps are anything like (i.e. the same surface)as the ones in Portlaoise they are a f**king death trap, trust me i know, if even the lightest rain falls on these type of ramps the become very slippy..very fast, where as lucan or bushy you can skate them in light rain no probs. I've included some pics that can be shown to councils considering these Rhino ramps.
    It clearly shows that these type of structures (lets call 'em that) are just temporary solutions, and who wants that???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

FFS I just checked this link:
    http://www.rhino-ramps.com/2004/uk/i...sub=3d_designs
    Its not like the designs are that imaginative, really now is it??

Jaysus and these c**ts are getting paid €100'000's to build this sh1te!
    Sorry for losing it but it's YOUR money that YOUR civil SERVANTS are wasting!!! DOH!
    My 6 year old could design something better.
    And isnt it right on the sea, so in winter it'll be bashed by salty water/air/mist/rain???
    Yeah i can see this lasting 20 years like other decent 'crete around the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Jah Eeire and Rog mad good points about the scheming that Rhino gets up to on www.bogginzine.com - the Irish distributor for Rhino is a Galway company and the fool in charge, one Steven Walsh, claimed to the press that the concrete parks in Dublin like Bushy and Lucan are all white elephants, yet the abortions in Portlaoise and Galway aren't???

Any of you ever hear of the parks in Zandaam, St Just, Cadbury or Fosse Estate? Course not. They're all shi.te.

Nice one lads...

image_77.jpg

Heard of Malmo, Stoke, Prissick, Milton Keynes, Marseilles, Livi, Shanghai? Some of the world's best right there...

I know concrete parks will allways be better,but like everything else it comes down to budget,and who applied for the tender.Rhino seem to be going for countrywide domination winning tenders cause the councils believe their quote to be right.

Skater and end user involvement at the planning stages is the way to get this changed.
    So were the end users of the Tramore skatepark met with and asked which design suited them the best before the tender was awarded?

At the end of the day if the locals are happy with what they got well thats it,thats all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark Wojton

This article explains the true short term and long term cost of modular parks.
    http://www.spsdev.org/v1_content/process/sps_cost_of_modular.pdf
    Check www.skatersforpublicskateparks.org to learn more about getting a proper park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

That skatepark looks so bad.Do they auctually get 100,000 for that!They must be laughing all the way to the bank.The old wooden park that used to be in Tramore was way better than that.Does anyone know when the concrete one for the peoples park is going to be done?Anyone have the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

hey ash h whats your name I might know you......... If you skate in town (Waterford city) alot

I was out there the other day and I think its ok.. too much dust tho now makes the ramps slippy but its "grand" defo not worth a €100,000 but better than nothing...

Heres the best pictures I took from the other day:

tramore005dp6.jpg

tramore016mo3.jpg

In regards to the Waterford City one a group of us went to the council asking about it.. they said march and its been delayed because of water that needs to be drained!

Heres a picture for what we should be getting:

l_22249fc14dedb34545f18914686d3cf3.jpg

l_b47e3daed592b8f5607c045e21a4b612.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

That concrete bowl configuration looks quite nice. I hope it comes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

That bowl looks sweet, hope it turns out that nice

What are the opening hours of the Tramore skate park?.
    Is it open while the schools are open,was down there last Saturday but got a bit too crowded to ride,kids using heely shoes and all.

Have next tuesday off but no point heading down if it only opens when the schools close.:(

hop the fence ftw!!!! :D

Thats what we did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

DeafVision wrote:
    hey ash h whats your name I might know you......... If you skate in town (Waterford city) alot

I was out there the other day and I think its ok.. too much dust tho now makes the ramps slippy but its "grand" defo not worth a €100,000 but better than nothing...

Heres the best pictures I took from the other day:

tramore005dp6.jpg

tramore016mo3.jpg

In regards to the Waterford City one a group of us went to the council asking about it.. they said march and its been delayed because of water that needs to be drained!

Heres a picture for what we should be getting:

l_22249fc14dedb34545f18914686d3cf3.jpg

l_b47e3daed592b8f5607c045e21a4b612.jpg

Yep,

the waterford city park loks excellent. Freestyle are hoping to have this finished by June 2007 but it wont be easy. The water table in the park that its being built in is very wet. They have to elevate the skatepark and use concrete over 400mm thick in parts. Goddammn!!! The concrete in Gorey is only 150mm!! The ground drasinage is pretty bad and a lot of work has to be done in waterford first.

All the best to them on this one anyway :D

Apparently pouring coke on the ramps will give them some grip once it dries in a bit,it could also stop kids from sliding down the ramps on their arses.;)

If the Waterford concrete skatepark gets delayed this will lead to the Cork concrete skatepark being delayed unless freestyle have more than one building team in the country.:(

wideangle wrote:
    Apparently pouring coke on the ramps will give them some grip once it dries in a bit,it could also stop kids from sliding down the ramps on their arses.;)

If the Waterford concrete skatepark gets delayed this will lead to the Cork concrete skatepark being delayed unless freestyle have more than one building team in the country.:(

lol... were supposed to have it since like september :D

I know you know what I mean,they have started the site works now at least and if it gets delayed and is done for end of june then they wont start our one till start of july meaning it may not be finished till autumn.
    We were told it will be open by the summer meaning June.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Updaparish

New skatepark for tramore, about time...

Advertisement