Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerPoint

Options
  • 14-02-2007 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Have a college presentation due in two weeks, which has to be done on MS Powerpoint, no other option. Just realised that I don't actually have PowerPoint on my laptop, just have the standard Microsoft Works applications. Is there anywhere online where I can download Powerpoint, and Word as well if possible?? Or will I have to buy these from a shop.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You'll have to pay, I'm afraid. You may be entitled to Student discounts/editions, however.

Why *must* it be PowerPoint?
    A free alternative, that provides functionality close to Word and PowerPoint is the OpenOffice suite- with corresponding packages Write and Impress(PowerPoint replacement). OpenOffice is free, possibly easier to use if you're not used to doing things the specific MS Office way... It's free, the results are (Functionality-wise) the same, and did I mention it's free?
    http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html

Please clarify what it is that MS Office offers that you need so that we can see whether there is an alternative, or so we can see what version of Office you require.

Hope this helps,
    K.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I would have thought that if the college requires you to use it then they should give you the software...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

daveym wrote:
    I would have thought that if the college requires you to use it then they should give you the software...
    Absolutely. It's ridiculous to make such a request otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

marie_85 wrote:
    Have a college presentation due in two weeks, which has to be done on MS Powerpoint, no other option. s

I think "no other option" is specified because the teacher/lecturer in question is probably not aware there is another option (i.e. Open Office).

Do you know of any college that hands out commercial software to students? I have worked in a few and I have never seen it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

tom dunne wrote:
    Do you know of any college that hands out commercial software to students? I have worked in a few and I have never seen it happening.
    If you are friendly with the tech support guys in the college you can get most software.
    But of course, illeagally optained s/w is wrong, I would never condone it.

Use the link K posted. Open Office will do what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

marie_85 wrote:
    Have a college presentation due in two weeks, which has to be done on MS Powerpoint, no other option.

If you don't have access to MS Powerpoint then tell the lecturer. It's not up to you to be purchasing expensive software on the whim of a lecturer. The college should make it available to you, most likely on their own systems rather than handing you the application on a CD. Talk to your class rep / student body council.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tom dunne wrote:
    I think "no other option" is specified because the teacher/lecturer in question is probably not aware there is another option (i.e. Open Office).

as far as I know in blackrock they specify a std set of sw with the laptops they provide, maybe other colleges are the same and have licenses for every student?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,444 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would assume that if the lecturer required a Powerpoint presentation, that Powerpoint is available on all machines (college owned) within the college.
    While this may not be ideal I assume it covers the college since the tools to complete the project are available within the college.

I believe the request you are making is for your private laptop. If you wish to use your private laptop to complete these tasks then it would be a good idea to have whatever software the college has on its standard PC's.
    Open office is a good free option however.
    Kippy

Advertisement