Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE moves closer to launching UK service

Options
  • 14-02-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

From the Irish Post :

RTÉ: LAUNCH DATE NEARS
    BY NIAMH HENNESSY

THE START of RTÉ broadcasts in Britain could be just a few months away after it was revealed detailed work on the new service is under way.

Senior RTÉ figures have confirmed a team at the State broadcaster is already working on a proposed schedule of programmes to be beamed into Britain.

And the last barrier to providing RTÉ for the Irish community on this side of the Irish Sea is set to be swept away soon when the government gives the go-ahead for the station to use its present licence fee funding to pay for the move.

That provision is contained in a new Bill to go before the Dáil shortly.

RTÉ spokesperson Peter Feeney said: “We found that present legislation did not allow RTÉ to use the public funding they receive for broadcasting in Britain but a Bill which will be passed in the next few weeks will instruct RTÉ to use this public funding to run the new British station.”

RTÉ is expected to receive almost £130million in public funding this year — an increase from the £122million it received last year. This money is generated from the television licence fees which costs £105 a year. Mr Feeney said: “RTÉ is much more optimistic than in the past about being able to provide a service in Britain.

“To say it could be in place in 12 months wouldn’t be unreasonable.

“We will be able to broadcast programmes which are made in-house as well as programmes we have commissioned but we would not be able to broadcast live transmissions of sports as we would not have the rights to those.”

The British station will be representative of Ireland’s national public service channels — RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4.

RTÉ is currently exploring ways in which it will be broadcast in Britain — whether through the Freeview digital platform, subscription or another method. Mr Feeney said: “Providing a service in Britain is a priority for us and all the decisions for its provision will be taken within the next few months.”

The Broadcasting (Amendment) Bill 2006 which provides for the broadcasting of RTÉ outside the island of Ireland is currently making its way through the Seanad and Dáil Éireann.

This process should be completed by the end of February. Once the Bill is passed RTÉ will be legally obliged to provide services to the people of Britain. Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources Noel O’Flynn said: “The Bill providing for RTÉ in Britain is a priority for me and I will be enacting this before the General Election in June.

“After that it will be in RTÉ’s hands to gets things moving.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

DMC wrote:
    Excellent news.

So the typical licence fee payer fronts the bill, RTE stink.

What they are proposing is a "stripped down" version of what we have. No US imports and no sport. You get your home produced shows and news.

In terms of running costs, it would be akin to UKTV Gold, buy the sounds of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Plus it will have advertising revenue to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

dont like the part about subscription. do the wise men at rte not hear of broadcasting fta. oh wait there are no wise men in rte who have heard of fta or ftv.it dosent exist to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The-Rigger wrote:

they are being forced to provide this channel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mossy Monk wrote:
    they are being forced to provide this channel

ah, I just don't agree with there been a licence fee and a rake of advertising, I think it needs to be one or the other, It actually would be ok if RTE was run efficiantly, but I know a couple of people that work there, the place is run like most goverment owned things in Ireland, badly, just my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

If RTE broadcast on UK Freeview and it's a massive success (:p), will they have to lower the license fee for Irish people who might not even receive the channel?

They'll have to do a great job on the channel if it's on Freeview because almost everyone in the UK will get it. If it gets more funding than the domestic channels (RTE1 etc), we shouldn't have to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 work2live

If RTE broadcast on UK Freeview and it's a massive success (:p), will they have to lower the license fee for Irish people who might not even receive the channel?

They'll have to do a great job on the channel if it's on Freeview because almost everyone in the UK will get it. If it gets more funding than the domestic channels (RTE1 etc), we shouldn't have to pay for it.

depending on what the remit of the channel is and what the final wording of the act is, I think it is unlikely that this will be a moneyspinner. If it does pay for itself all the better. It looks like there will be limited funding for this channel and little if any seperate programming. If you don't want to pay for this channel you should be on to your TD about it, not RTE, its a political decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Given the number of UK channels who would like a slot on Freeview, it's unlikely RTE will magically be granted some, they'll have to sublease, or bid for space the same as everyone else. I'd take that part of the report with a pinch of salt. Don't forget the service would only be carrying RTE programming, I'd imagine it'll probably be similar to the international version of ORF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RTE most already be whispering in politicians ears:

"Liberal Democrat councillor Martin Curry said: "If Sky pull out of free-to-air DTTV, Ofcom should seek other providers of free-to-air programming.

Curry has suggested Euronews, CNN, RTE:International or another free-to-air general entertainment channels could offer their news services to replace the lost Sky channels. "

Now I think it is very unlikely to happen, but the fact that a UK politician has already heard about RTE:International is very interesting.

Eh, but while the FTA versions of Sky's channels may be moving to sub, they are still using the same " space" if you like, so there won't be any room to add channels in their place.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SRB wrote:
    Eh, but while the FTA versions of Sky's channels may be moving to sub, they are still using the same " space" if you like, so there won't be any room to add channels in their place.....

True, but it seems that since they are changing their service, OfCom can review the terms of the license and potentially take the spectrum off them. However I don't think that will happen.

I just thought that it was interesting to note that a UK politician had actually heard of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SRB wrote:

Actually there is TWICE the space "magically"

Sky will be using MPEG4. The new line up has 4 channels where there was 3. If they get others to "come on board" (MPEG4 SD Pay TV) then there will be more free space. So Sky has space for two new channels without dropping quality.

watty wrote:
    Sky will be using MPEG4. The new line up has 4 channels where there was 3. If they get others to "come on board" (MPEG4 SD Pay TV) then there will be more free space. So Sky has space for two new channels without dropping quality.

This is stretching OT atm

I'm getting all queasy with Sky developing their own Freeview/DTT receiver. They become gatekeepers once more; their own access cards, their own software....

MPEG4 on UK Freeview, certainly, but not by Sky.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This makes for interesting news.

They presumably could cover all of Europe by going FTA on satellite, since it's their own homegrown programming. I'd imagine they'll use Astra2 if on satellite.

With the "international" part, I'd also expect them to try for carriage somehow in USA, Australia, etc also where there'd be many Irish people living.

DMC wrote:
    This is stretching OT atm

I'm getting all queasy with Sky developing their own Freeview/DTT receiver. They become gatekeepers once more; their own access cards, their own software....

MPEG4 on UK Freeview, certainly, but not by Sky.

And Ofcom are going to look into this.... I'd say there are good grounds for them to say no.

Ofcom to review Sky's DTT plans
    Chris Tryhorn
    Friday February 16, 2007
    MediaGuardian.co.uk
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2014755,00.html
    Ofcom has flagged up concerns that BSkyB's plans for a pay-TV service on digital terrestrial television might "unacceptably diminish the appeal" of Freeview.

The regulator today announced a consultation about Sky's proposals for a four-channel pay service that would sit alongside Freeview channels and require a new kind of set-top box for viewers.

Sky needs Ofcom's approval for the launch of a subscription service.

Sky's plans are seen principally as a measure to limit the appeal of Setanta's paid-for sports offering, which will bring live Premiership football back to digital terrestrial TV (DTT) from August.

Sky's planned service will offer live football and other sports, as well as movies, entertainment and news. It would replace the company's current free-to-air offering of Sky News, Sky Sports News and Sky Three.

Ofcom said it would examine the impact of Sky's plan to use MPEG4 compression technology via new set-top boxes to squeeze out space for extra programming.

While such a change could provide potential benefits, Ofcom will also assess the "potential detriment associated with a reduction in the number of channels received by existing set-top boxes or digital televisions".

It also flagged up the risk that existing set-top boxes or digital televisions might be "incompatible with multiplexes broadcast using a combination of MPEG2 and MPEG4 coding".

Ofcom is also concerned that Sky's plans could affect consumer confidence in the digital switchover process under which the UK's analogue TV service is being phased out between 2008 and 2012. The regulator said it would examine whether any change in the channel line-up on digital terrestrial TV might "unacceptably diminish the appeal of the channels to a variety of tastes and interests, and whether a reduction in the current range of free-to-air channels would be compensated for by the proposed introduction of the new pay television channels".

Its final concern is to ensure fair and effective competition for digital TV licences for the benefit of consumers.

Ofcom said it had yet to receive a request for approval from Sky, but would start a consultation, likely to last 10 weeks, once it had done so.

Some parts of the TV industry fear that Sky's proposal would damage the appeal of Freeview, the consortium Sky helped to found in 2002 and in which it remains a partner and board member.

Despite the Freeview name and the provision of 40 free-to-air channels on digital terrestrial television, there is already space for pay-TV on the platform.

The Top Up TV service offers 19 channels on top of the basic Freeview package for £9.99 a month.

And Setanta's sports offering, priced at £10.99 a month, launches on the DTT platform next month.

Sky previously offered a number of pay-TV channels on DTT via the now defunct ITV Digital service between 1998 and 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I wonder? I am sure the Liberal Democrat counciller for Bromley was referring to France and electricity prices / transmisson when he mentioned RTE International.

This politican may have been quoted completley out of context. The only relationship between Bromley and TV Transmisson is the location of the Crystal Palace transmitter.

watty wrote:
    Actually there is TWICE the space "magically"

Yes, but what I meant is that "space" is SKY's it's not going to be "freed up" for anyone wishing to start a new service, nor will it be any use to anyone using an existing Freeview box. Sky have already said they intend, if they are allowed, to use it for their own services.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have to disagree with the use of the Licence Fee for this venture. How did they set TARA TV up in the 1990's?

There is no reason why RTE cannot use commerical moneys or that a private company could not be used to set up such a channel.

Sure a private company could buy RTE's, TV3's, TG4's, Setanta's, Channel 6's shows and broadcast them in the UK and make a profit while giving fees to each of the channels in question.

I know big set up cost would be involved but surely something someone should think about.

Or prehaps RTE could just rebroadcast RTE 1 into GB and replace the shows that they don't have rights to with RTE 2, TG4 and Sound and Vision Shows. Surely this wouldn't be all that expensive to do.

After all RTE ONE is nearly 100% home produced.

Example

Sunday Night

6:01 News
    6:30 You're a Star
    7:30 Far From Home
    8:00 Fair City
    8:30 You're a Star Results
    9:00 News
    9:30 ER (The Panel in GB)
    10:30 WYB
    11:00 The Week in Politics

• Advertisement

But......look what happened to Tara and it was run on a shoestring ! I agree that they could run the service as a mixture of RTE1 and 2 though, BBC World Service TV started out that way, running ceefax pages if it couldn't clear programme rights.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

But Tara could have been successful, but I think RTE may have preferred a wholly owned operation (they only owned 20% of Tara).

RTE pulled their programming from Tara, and thus it closed. I'm nearly sure Tara had just secured a deal with NTL for carriage at the time too, though can't recall correctly.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2002/03/04/story24193.asp

I'm nearly sure TaraTV was made unavailable for ROI viewers at some stage too

yes it was. it really annoyed me at the time. it meant i had no outlet to purchase Aran sweaters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Also Mossy,
    RTE International may not be available in Ireland as Bulmers have released a Cider badged Bulmers in the UK, competing with Magners.

Could create an advertizing nightmare for RTE International.

Hardly. Block it for one ad? In Rugby, the Celtic League has been renamed the Magners League. Its promoted as such in the Republic, even though the product with that name is not sold here.

Bulmers in Ireland is not the same as Bulmers in the UK. Different owners of the brand. Bulmers from Ireland cannot be sold in the UK as Bulmers, so its called Magners.

If a different continuity suite is used for RTÉ International (it will need its own trails and idents remember), they can tack on different ads for the overseas market. RTÉ International if/when it happens wont be a simple retransmission of RTÉ 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ International if/when it happens wont be a simple retransmission of RTÉ 1.

Surely it would be the best thing for RTE just to retransmit RTE ONE under the name RTE ONE INTERNATIONAL and swap out shows in relation to Rights issues with RTE TWO show.

Surely their would be no need for new idents for RTE ONE INTERNATIONAL. In the same way that BBC ONE NI has the same idents as BBC ONE Scotland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Fairly pointless really. You can already watch all the current affairs / news through streams or on demand from the RTE website. This is the only good programming RTE produce. None of the ex pats I know could be bothered watching absolute rubbish like fair city and your a star.

wingnut wrote:
    Fairly pointless really. You can already watch all the current affairs / news through streams or on demand from the RTE website

Not everyone has broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

wingnut wrote:
    Fairly pointless really. You can already watch all the current affairs / news through streams or on demand from the RTE website. This is the only good programming RTE produce. None of the ex pats I know could be bothered watching absolute rubbish like fair city and your a star.

Even with good broadband, the quality is worse than VCD.

If it was popular the nerwoks would creak.

For *REAL* TV watching you need a broadcast medium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Foggy43 wrote:
    Also Mossy,
    RTE International may not be available in Ireland as Bulmers have released a Cider badged Bulmers in the UK, competing with Magners.

Could create an advertizing nightmare for RTE International.

Doesn't stop promotions for either Bulmers' Original or Magners being aired in Ireland on UK channels, nor for Bulmers Irish Cider being aired in NI on Irish channels.

More likely, RTÉ International will not be available here for the simple reason that RTÉ will not want to canablise its own advertising revenue. If people are watching a programme on RTÉ UK when its being simulcast on RTÉ ONE, RTÉ are going to want Irish people to watch on RTÉ ONE with its Irish advertising.

Advertisement