Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists need to stop whining.

Options
  • 14-02-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hope that got your attention.

I watched this video last night about CNN reporting how Atheists are being discriminated against. The atheist in question goes on how he was harrassed at work, at home and his child beaten.

What is jar dropping in all this is the discussion by the CNN panel afterwards.

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2007/02/protest_1.html

It's continued with another panel who try to actually top the previous panel to the point where I can only but weep that these sort of people exist in the world.

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2007/02/atheism_1.html

CNN tried to save grace with interviewing Dawkins which is a good interview but within the context of the other parts is just trying to save their asses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hobbes wrote:
    Hope that got your attention.

I watched this video last night about CNN reporting how Atheists are being discriminated against. The atheist in question goes on how he was harrassed at work, at home and his child beaten.

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2007/02/atheism_1.html

CNN tried to save grace with interviewing Dawkins which is a good interview but within the context of the other parts is just trying to save their asses.

yeah the only guy making sense does the sports?

although dawkins bit was perfect, concise and NICE for once.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hobbes wrote:

What is jar dropping in all this is the discussion by the CNN panel afterwards.
    That black woman kept shouting about atheists "they need to shut UP, they just need to shut UP..."
    Such quality journalism. You can even read about it on her wiki page...

You'd love to be stuck in a lift with some of these people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The way that the interview with Dawkins was introduced was shocking also.

"Most of the emails we received were from people who thought that we should have included an Athiest in our discussion".

Don't you think that is what they should have realised themselves as Journalists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This is American CNN we are talking about here ...

Last nights Daily Show on More 4 (which was from 13th Feb in the States) did an hilarious piece on CNN doing a survey about what people have in their fridges after the photo was released showing what was in Anna Nicole Smiths fridge (which was full of methedone and drink). You couldn't make that up. It went something like this -

..and here we see that haunting image of Ms. Smiths hotel fridge. A tragic last image of a tragic death. [Pause] Now we here at CNN thought it would be interesting to see what is your fridge at a home and what it says about you. Email us here at blah blah...

Jon Steward didn't even need to make a joke, his face when they came back from the clip had the audience in hysterics.

Back on topic, it was bizarre that on a issue dealing with atheists they didn't get any atheists to comment. And when they did they got a British guy? What are there no atheists in America to comment on what it is like to be an American atheist? Quality reporting at its best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they should have put ann coulter on that panel
    that would have been hot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That black woman kept shouting about atheists "they need to shut UP, they just need to shut UP..."
    Such quality journalism. You can even read about it on her wiki page...

It says she's gonna be teaching in Hunter College.

Maybe she should see can she get a job in Liberty University, where they supposedly have on display a 3,000 year old dinosaur fossil.

F*cking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

how annoying. not once did anyone mention that the words "under god" were added to the pledge of the allegience in 1954 under order of esenhower. or that "in god we trust" was added to new 20 dollar bills in 1956 replacing "e pluribus unum".

and that reverend on the panel after dawkins interview is a moron. morality clearly doesn't come from the bible. infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

I'm surprised noone has talked about what the presneter says on returning
    it went something like this

'welome back, today we're talking about atheists, folks that don't believe in god'
    Brilliant, she spells it out just in case the viewing audience was confused.

The black woman who was raving and ranting on the first panel was hilarious.
    'I can't believe they took prayer out of school...gooddam atheists!' They need to shut up...
    Dawkins looked calm and collected and I think he came across extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Phew, yet another troop of people to file under miseducated or unintelligent. Poor journalism, even for CNN. Dawkins was good.

Apart from also agreeing with the sentiments of all intelligent people about the ridiculousness that report, my own personal view is not that atheism is misunderstood etc., but that people that are atheists are categorised as some sort of group of people, an organised religion in itself if you will.

This is just plain wrong. The only thing that atheists have in common as far as atheism goes, is a lack of belief in a higher power. Whether you're born into a catholic, muslim, or shintu family or are Irish, Frech, Brazilan or Nigerian you an still become an atheist and have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with another atheist.

To describe someone as an atheist simply infers an non-belief in a god - not that you base your life around it or even think about it.

I'm an intelligent rational human being that can think for himself and doesn't believe in hocus pocus. Period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

The jewish woman not happy just agreeing with that idiotic black woman gets a nice jab in at the end there both at Europeans and the Islamic faith. I have to say yer man was very reasonable. You could tell he wanted to B*tch slap both women as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Eglinton wrote:
    Phew, yet another troop of people to file under miseducated or unintelligent. Poor journalism, even for CNN. Dawkins was good.

Apart from also agreeing with the sentiments of all intelligent people about the ridiculousness that report, my own personal view is not that atheism is misunderstood etc., but that people that are atheists are categorised as some sort of group of people, an organised religion in itself if you will.

This is just plain wrong. The only thing that atheists have in common as far as atheism goes, is a lack of belief in a higher power. Whether you're born into a catholic, muslim, or shintu family or are Irish, Frech, Brazilan or Nigerian you an still become an atheist and have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with another atheist.

To describe someone as an atheist simply infers an non-belief in a god - not that you base your life around it or even think about it.

I'm an intelligent rational human being that can think for himself and doesn't believe in hocus pocus. Period!

and in america athiest = communist

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Stumbled across this.
    Its so absurd its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Get off our country!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wow, I'd love to be in heaven with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

5uspect wrote:
    Stumbled across this.
    Its so absurd its scary.

LOL .. that is just moronic more than anything else

"The United States is based on having freedom of religion, you can believe in God anyway you want (Baptist, Methodist, Catholic), but you must believe"

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where lisa gives up meat

Homer: Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. Lisa, honey, are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Ham?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
    Homer: [chuckles] Yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

In the United States you have completely freedom of religion ... so long as you are Christian :rolleyes:

Advertisement