Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get rid of "Times New Roman"

Options
  • 14-02-2007 2:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hate the "Times New Roman" font. I don't know why it is the windows default I think its horrible. I usually use either Verdana or Ariel etc for everyhting. Lately it is really annoying me that when doing a lot of work in Word and Outlook it defaults to Times New Roman all the time.

Can I delete the font, or can I change the default to Verdana etc. I have done in outlook but it occaisionally reverts back to it. When you paste anything into Word, every time I have to change it to Verdana 10pt.

Any tips on how to get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What browser are you using? If its firefox go to the menu, Tools > Options > Content and the fonts are on the bottom drop down menu.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes I'm using firefox - I've changed it to Verdana anywhere I see Times New Roman - but will this affect outlook and word too?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You'll probably have to change it manually in Word and Outlook. In Word its Format->Font then select the font and hit Default.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

In word go to Format=>Font.

Select the font you want and press the default button. It will warn you that all new documents will have this font.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You should be able to delete it alright. I hate it too. Can't remember where the fonts are stored in windows. Check control panel.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote:
    You should be able to delete it alright. I hate it too. Can't remember where the fonts are stored in windows. Check control panel.

Run %windir%\fonts

Select times new roman and delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

you can delete the font file from the windows directory

timesfonthe8.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Personally, I wouldn't go deleting the file just in case there is any future odd behaviour from applications that might specifically look for the file as its default font. You can always change the default font in your other applications, but it might be best to leave the actual font file alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cool thanks. I've always wanted to just delete ALL fonts except about say 10 that I use... might do that now.

Any suggestions for the 10?

I'd go with Aidan here. Best off setting your default font in each of your applications.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Maybe just move them to a backup folder for a couple of weeks before deleting them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Say anything you want about Times New Roman because unlike Arial there is a distinct difference between I and l ( capital i and lowercase L ). Another use of Verdana is to use it at 7 or 8 point for all your windows system fonts - if you aggressively reduce margins and boarders you can regain a lot of desktop area.

Arial and Letter paper size must die ....

nocomicsans180x180.gif
    http://bancomicsans.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

You'll be glad to know that Office 2007 has new default fonts.

The new Word default font is a sans-serif font (So it will look more like Verdana/Arial)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Office 07 default font is Calibri. As Peteee said, it's a sans-serif font, which certainly makes sense for Outlook, though probably less so for Word assuming you're planning on printing a few things. Happily it looks nothing like either Verdana or Arial. Arial is evil. I've said so before. I'm not the greatest fan of Helvetica, which Arial rips off badly but at least it was a classic font in its day. Calibri is reasonably nice, though I really don't like the 'a'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've changed all the fonts in Outlook to Verdana, yet sometimes when I write a message and save it to drafts, it returns to Times New Roman when I open it again later. So Annoying! How can I stop this happening?

Advertisement